After first rack??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pightr

Reaction score
After racking to my secondary I was just curious about how long it continues to ferment? The instructions in my kit told me to wait 10 days then check the SG to make sure it is .0996 or less two days in a row. It is now day 8 and no more bubbles are coming through the air lock.

The kit I am using is a vintners reserve white sin. Temp is kept at 75 and is in the secondary as we speak. Just curious if it always takes the 10 days or happens faster or not. Thanks for the help.

10 days is just a guideline, check the sg. It can happen faster than 10 days and it could take a little longer than 10 days, it all depends on conditions.

I agree - check the SG - if it is the same for 3 consecutive days - fermentation is complete.

Like above, Wine dont know what the instructions say (they can't read..). So, each time you make wine it ferments on "his/her" timeline.
Go by the hydrometer readings not the timeline given..

Thanks again for the info and advice. I just checked the wine today on the 8th day after racking to the secondary. Sg is reading 0.990 I will continue to check it for the next two days as you guys have advised to make sure it stays the same then add the rest of my packs. (doesn't taste to nice yet haha)

ive had kits that i've left in the primary a few days longer than i should have, and by the time i went to the secondary stage, the SG was holding where it should have been so i went straight to the clearing and degassing stage. Everything turned out well, it depends a lot on the temps. where you are making your wine.

Toward the middle to end of secondary, often there is not much visible indication that fermentation is going on, so be careful about watching the air lock bubble or listening for fizzing. The air lock may bubble regularly, it may not bubble but a few times a day.

Same SG reading for 2 or 3 days is the only way you can accurately tell fermentation is completed.

ive had kits that i've left in the primary a few days longer than i should have, and by the time i went to the secondary stage, the SG was holding where it should have been so i went straight to the clearing and degassing stage. Everything turned out well, it depends a lot on the temps. where you are making your wine.

I'm actually making the wine all over the house haha. I started in the kitchen then moved to spare bathroom, then moved back to kitchen, and now its corner on the living room lol. I need more space.

You've been bit by the bug!

More than I ever thought I could. I got bit by the golf bug about 2 years ago and that hasn't stopped and was an obsession and now the wine bug??? I'm a little scared here haha but loving every minute of it so far!!!

Back