After 7 days my SG is 1.022?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poormanfarm

Reaction score
This seems too high after 7 days in the fermenter for Muscadine wine. I started off with a SG of 1.095 and I thought I should be at a 1.000 by now. My room temperature is 74 degrees. Any thoughts on why this is not any dryer than 1.022 after 7 days? Thanks for any advice.

I would think your probably OK. It took my muscadine 17 days to go from 1.11 to 1.03 but I made a couple of mistakes. Too high starting SG and yeast of unknown quality, it was given to me and I did not check the expiraton date. Is it still fizzing, I could put my ear over the bucket and hear the yeast working.

I would think your probably OK. It took my muscadine 17 days to go from 1.11 to 1.03 but I made a couple of mistakes. Too high starting SG and yeast of unknown quality, it was given to me and I did not check the expiraton date. Is it still fizzing, I could put my ear over the bucket and hear the yeast working.

Yes it is still working. Albeit, very slowly. My starting SG was pretty high also, more like a 1.1 than a 1.095.

As long as it is still fermenting, let it keep going. Sometimes it just takes a lot of time to finish out. You could be getting to the end of the alcohol tolerance of the yeast also. When you get too much alcohol in the wine, the yeast can die from alcohol poisoning. Don't really think you are quite at that point, but depending on the yeast you could be. Have to check the manufactures tolerance to be sure. Arne.

Poormanfarm; is the must from grapes or juice buckets? If from grapes did you add yeast or working on wild yeast? Have you racked yet or are you still in primary?

Latest posts

Back