WineXpert Advice needed: racking kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tree Frog

Reaction score
When racking a kit from the primary to secondary fermenter, how do you avoid sediment. My primary fermenter always has two layers of sediment.The bottomlayer is afirm layer about 1/4 inch thick that I assume is bentonite. On top of that is about an inch ofsoft pulp-like sediment. I have no problem avoiding the firm bottom layer, butmuch of the pulp-like material always ends up in my carboy. How do you avoid that?

Thanks !

Bill Burnett

What type of wine is this and when do you rack from to secondary...number of days or by SG?

Masta,

Both were Winexpert kits. One was a Vintners Reserve White Zinfandeland the other a Selection Limited Edition AustralianMataro-Shiraz. I rackaccording to thenumber of days suggested in the instructions, but also check SG first to make sure it in the range specified by the instructions.

I have been using the spigot on my primary fermenter for racking, instead of a siphon. It was my understanding that that is a good method.

Bill Burnett

You will get some sediment transfered to secondary which isperfectly normaland the main reason for this is to get the wine away from the bottom 1/4 inch which some is the bentonite but mainly dead yeast since the main fermentation is complete. Do not worry and continue to follow the instructions and you will be fine. The sediment you rack into the secondary as you described actually helps you when the wine is complete and you add the fining agent and stir to clear your wine.

Another tip for you: after you add the fining agent and you are waiting for your wine to clear, some fines will collect on the sides of the carboy. A gentle rocking of the carboy will knock these fines off the side and help settle the lees! This is when you need to have patience and don't rush into bottling until your wine is clear.

Bill,

What Masta says is totally true. If you do want to reduce the sediment buildup around the spigot or siphon area, I always position my primaries and carboys at a tilt, approximately 1/2 inch towards the rear of the counter. This way, the majority of the sediment will settle by gravity towards the lower end and not build up near the syphon or draining area of the spigot.

Great help Masta and Maui Joe.

Thanks !
smiley4.gif
</span></font>

Here is another question for yall! Kit: Island Mist, Type: Tropical Fruits Gewürztraminer. OK I racked to secondary the day I left for work instructions say do not top up or check for 10 daysthen check sg and if .996 or less for two consecutive day add metabisulphite, F-pack then isinglass to clear. I get home today (14 days later work off shore) pull the t-shirt up and this thing is like super clear with about an inch of sediment at the bottom. Would any one suggest racking to another carboy before adding every thing and I know the sediment helps it clear but it is very clear right now. It has been in the carboy for about 15 days the wife said the air lock was bubbling real good 5 days ago there is plenty of water still in the air lock with all of it pushed into one side so there is still pressure on it and no air has gotten in. Would like some opinions here cause when I break the seal I want to top up.

Thanks

Johnny

If it is clear you should be able to see if there are any bubbles rising to the top of the carboy. If you don't see any and there is no foam at all on the top of the liquid it is done. Check your SG reading and don'track justgo ahead and add the rest of the ingredents....F-Pack,sorbate,sulfite,finings agent and stir well to degas. Top off when degassing is complete and give it 3 weeks to settle then rackcarefully to empty carboy orbucketto bottle!

Nice looking wine Ramrod, make sure to follow the directions to get the CO2 out, might want to give one extra stir when mixing to get the CO2 out, my Island mist kit is a little CO2 ish other than that a good wine kit.

OK I will follow the instructions but it sure don't seem right to stir this all back up when it is so clear.
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley7.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley7.gif
smiley19.gif

Ya my first one is a little co2ish also but is fine after it sets for about 5-10.

The fining agent needs the weight of the crud on the bottom to weigh down the smaller particles.

Back