Adjusting Acid

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kanib

Junior
Reaction score
For future reference, am I okay to adjust acid levels while still in the primary fermentation stage by adding more acid blend if my TA drops a bit during that stage or should I use a specific blend depending on the fruit wine, ie...citric, tartaric, malic, etc...?

Also, on a similar question....my very first batch of wine (raspberry) I did not have an acid test kit. It's been going since early January of this year, and I am ready to rack for the second time. I will check the acid this time and if it is low should I add any acid...if it is should I use tartaric or the general acid blend?

Secondary
-3 gal Raspberry (Vinter's Harvest)
-3 gal Plum (Vinter's Harvest)
-6 gal Island Mist Strawberry White Merlot (for the better half)
-1.5 gal Cherry wine (Door County WI cherry's)

You can adjust your acid before and/or after fermentation.

I check the TA at both stages and adjust as needed.

The kind of acid - i usually use the acid blend.

Technically you should only add the specific acid that your wine needs, however if it is low adding acid blend is a safe choice. Yes you may add it anytime however realize that if added later in the process it may drop out tartaric acid (white diamonds) so you would want to give it time or cold stab. it. As opposed having it fallout in the bottle. Nothing wrong taste wise with tha t but can throw some folks off when the see it.

I believe if memory serves me correct 1 teaspoon of acid blend will raise your ph 15 points.

Thanks! I'd rather trust the experts than experimenting with this sort of thing on my first few batches.

...and what if the wine is high in acid? Do you add water or something else?

For a wine too high in acid you have a few choices.

a). Dilute with water (amelioration), not the best option.

b). Blend with a wine low in ph to reach desired levels. You may fine the pearson square comes in handy for this.

c). Cold stabilize the wine. Add 2-5 grams of Potassium Bitartrate (cream of tartar) for each gallon of wine. Stir the wine daily and store in a cold place. Rack after 3 to 4 weeks.

d). Blend with a water wine. You will maintain the ABV but will dilute the fruit taste.

e). Calcium Carbonate (best used in the musts) 1 teaspoon of c.c. will reduce acidity by approx. .1% (1 teaspoon weighs about 2.6 grams). You will have precipitates fall out after this method which is the reason for best changing the acid prefermentation.

f). You can neutralize the acid by using potassium bicarbonate (KHCO3). You will have foaming with the addition of this so best to add slowly and or use a large bucket. This will decrease acid and tartrates. Best to cold stabilize afterwards. Do not try to reduce acid by more than .3% and do not add if ph is above 3.5

Back