Ading Elderflower Bouquet to Elderberry berry wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cracked Cork

Reaction score
I want to add some bouquet to our elderberry wines made from the berries. Our bushes are about to flower soon.

1. Would it be best to pick the flowers, steep them, add some sugar and strain and freeze the syrup, adding it at bottling time?

2. Would it be better to just freeze the flowers and add them to the primary?

3. Is there a better way?

Crackedcork

I would try both, if you've got enough. And you can always combine them down the road.

I like the steeping method idea personally. Ours are in full bloom right now and what a wonderfulfragrance it is

Ive heard that the flowers are a very delicate flavor and I know the berries are a very powerful flavor so Im noy sure those flowers are going to come through in any way.

Waldo, ours are going to burst out this weekend. Wade, we already have plenty of flavor from the berries, we want to add some good smells over top of the berries now. Crackedcork

If the rain will allow, ill get a picture of mine this evening

A shot of my Elderberries, Blueberriesand Blackberries from yesterday morning

IMG_5132.jpg

IMG_5131.jpg

IMG_5133.jpg

IMG_5134.jpg

Cracked, I know you get tons of flavor from the berries you use, all I was stating is that Im not so sure the flowers are going to add much over the great smell that already emits from all those berries especially knowing that your wine is pure juice and is not watered down at all if I remember correctly so you would most likely need a ton of flowers to come through at all.

Waldo; looks like you have good crop of wine coming..
smiley4.gif
..Good Luck and hope you can keep birds out of your berries...

Waldo, nice pictures. You are way ahead of us I am not sure our berries are even popping out yet. The strawberring are just starting to come in season here.

So we decided to experiment, 1 quart of flowers and 1 quart of absolute, and 1 quart of flowers with 1 quart of boiling water, all extracting in mason jars, probably leave them in a week just to make sure we get everything.

Waldo, we are picking black raspberries and mullberries, not even close to blackberry season here.

Crackedcork

Latest posts

Back