WineXpert Adding sugar to increase alcohol

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
peterCooper said:
Ummmmm, why do you want to up the alcohol? Couldn't you just drink
more of it?

Yes you could but it will not last as long
smiley2.gif

Hi Steve,

Just wondering what the 750ml bottle is next to your carboy? Is
this the amount you removed when you added an F-pack? Just
curious.

Thanks

Doug

Doug,

When I racked to glass this is that I had left over in the primary. I am going to use it to top up if needed on this kit or another kit in the future.

Steve,

Thanks for the reply. I normally have no extra.
Except the current Blackberry Cabernet that I added some extra love
to...in the form of 3lbs of sugar. When I added the F-pack,
I ended up with extra. I had never had extra and your
picture intrigued me. I discarded the extra since this wine will
be bottled in the next racking.

Cheers,

Doug

I did a Green Apple Riesling 3 Month ago and Half of the batch I add Vodka. I was splitting the wine with one of my friend, he did not want Vodka. He regretted after that.

Wow I know it says Im a newbie but. I have voided about every kit i have made. I float that hydrometer and have added extra sugar to about every kit i have made. 2 years ago when i got back in the hobby i did over cook some resling. But it has calmed down with aging. 13 is pretty hot for white. but I get no complaints on any of the spiked up kits I think 8 cups is the most I have added to a kit. Have not made PORT yet. But itching to. It should have high percent.

I now have 5 clear gallon waiting to bottle and 1 still clearing after racking off the lees, I tried to get every drop I could.

2005-12-21_204556_Green_Apple_Reisling_Clear.jpg
Edited by: Steve

I also added a couple cinnamon sticks in while it was clearing and then I put another small on in the 5 gal while I am waiting to bottle. Maybe it will taste like an apple pie...

That is sooo pretty. Don't you get a very satisfied feeling when it clears? I'd
be interested inthe alcohol content too.

FG 0.989 w/F pack 1.008 12.6% ABV.

I love seeing go from cloudy to clear, especially when I have a picture to compare it.

Steve

Did you add any yeast nutrient to the wine?

I was reading this thread and it sounds like you did not have any problems with the fermentation.

earl

By the way, what a great web-site you have.

earl,

I according to my log I did not add any yeast nutrient. I just added the 10 cups of sugar that I dissolved in water. This was only my second kit but, I am much happier with the way this one turned out than my first...

I just bottled it on 12/23 and have already had 3 bottles of it. It may not last very long at that rate...
smiley2.gif

I have no regrets about increasing the alcohol level, it is a very smooth wine right out of the carboy.

Hope that helps...

I am trying to keep the site as up to date as I can because it helps me keep track of a lot of my info. Thanks for the compliment...Edited by: Steve

Back