Adding spices after fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

victoryss364

Junior
Reaction score
I've tried my first batch of mead and was wanting "spice" it up a bit. I was thinking of adding a little apple cider and maybe some cinnamon and allspice to give it a little more flavor. Fermentation has stopped and the sg is 1.000. I was wandering if I could put the spices in now and if so how much and for how long.

If you want an apple flavor, i'd suggest a concentrate because it wont water down the ABV & yeast characteristics..

The spices is kinda up to you - i dont have a lot of experience in them - but from what i've read, a few cinnamon sticks per 5 gallons works then just taste it every week or two until its where you want it

I'd recommend putting any spices into a bag of some sort just to make it easier to remove them later

Yup - that's what I do. Put the spices in a tea bag - then you can remove easily. They will impart flavor quick and can over power the wine...

Thanks. But you wouldn't use the cider? I'm not really worried about the apple flavor just wanted to bump the sg up a little.

Thanks. But you wouldn't use the cider? I'm not really worried about the apple flavor just wanted to bump the sg up a little.
Well, not only would the concentrate give a more "appley" flavour, but the reduced water content would be less likely to dilute both the alcohol content and remove some of the "body" from the batch.

It's a bit like the opposite, where you end up with a batch that stopped/stalled/halted, that is very sweet and almost "viscous" in appearance. You add some vodka/everclear/whateveraslongasitshigh%booze, too dry it out some. One of the side effects of doing this is that it reduces the body/viscosity of the batch as well - not forgetting that it can also make the batch taste "alcohol hot", so it would then need extended ageing for the added alcohol to "mellow" into the batch some......

That makes sense. Guess I'll get some juice from concentrate and just enjoy the cider. Either way I get another 1 gallon carboy out of the deal.

I "thought" we were on about concentrate, not juice from concentrate!

If you wanted to use juice from concentrate, you might as well use the cider...

Latest posts

Back