Adding Body to a Wine Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hocke230

Reaction score
Kit - Williams Brewing Zinfandel Kit
Aging - Since 10/10/12
Just added another Oak Stick
Re-racked 3 times already

Feel the wine is missing body, what else can I add?

Can I add raisins now? What about adding some other fruit? Possibly adding some Tannins or even syrup.

I would not add raisins at this point. The oak will likely help and tannins would also help although be careful since the oak will impart some tannins. You can check it in a couple weeks and see if it more closely fits your wishes or add some tannin then. Also, if you haven't done so, you may want to consider adding an eighth tsp of sulfite at this point.

Tannins will help, but many times will require more aging to be ready to drink.
Oak barrel concentration will do wonders for body, especially for kit wines.

Making the premium kits that contain a grape pack also makes a difference.

Last edited:
adding an eighth tsp of sulfite at this point.
Can you elaborate more on this? What will this give me?

hocke230 said:
Kit - Williams Brewing Zinfandel Kit
Aging - Since 10/10/12
Just added another Oak Stick
Re-racked 3 times already

Feel the wine is missing body, what else can I add?

Can I add raisins now? What about adding some other fruit? Possibly adding some Tannins or even syrup.

This kit contains 1.5 gallons of juice concentrate. Find a premium kit that has more juice, more like the 3 gallon range.

Adding 3.5 gallons of water makes for a light body wine..... Soak some raisins, see if that helps.

zinfendal

Not all wines do well with raisins and this is one of them, weather is a white Zinfandel or red Zinfandel raisins are not attribute for the style or type of wine. Usually a kit will have a certain amount of body to it start with tannins are great additive to add body to the style of wine. :uE

adding an eighth tsp of sulfite at this point.
Can you elaborate more on this? What will this give me?[/QUOT

If this wine has been ageing since Oct. you should have been testing your sulphite levels every 2 - 3 months to protect the wine from oxidation or bacterial contamination. If you are unable to test most of us add 1/8 - 1/4 tsp of k-meta every 2 - 3 months. This will do nothing for the body of the wine but will protect it.

LOUMIK:b

Latest posts

Back