Other Adding an F-Pack to 6 gallons. Hmmm.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swediepie

Reaction score
Today we siphoned our Grand Cru Green Apple Gewurtztraminer into a carboy. At the beginning, the instructions told us to add cool water up to the 23 litre (6 gal) mark, which we did. It's exact, as we've made two batches already that have been 30 bottles.

Today we siphoned to the carboy, and we got most of the six gallons, and left a bit with the sediment in the primary. I started adding the F-pack and realized that there was no room for it. Duh for me.

Is this typical for these kits? We ended up siphoning out 4-5 cups of wine and then added the f-pack, degassed, added the other packets that we were instructed to, and then added some extra/siphoned wine to top up.

If it's typical, it's just something we have to remember in the future. I know that 6 gallons equals 6 gallons, and we should have left room- but to the newbie, we stood there for a few minutes wondering what the heck to do.

Today we siphoned our Grand Cru Green Apple Gewurtztraminer into a carboy. At the beginning, the instructions told us to add cool water up to the 23 litre (6 gal) mark, which we did. It's exact, as we've made two batches already that have been 30 bottles.

Today we siphoned to the carboy, and we got most of the six gallons, and left a bit with the sediment in the primary. I started adding the F-pack and realized that there was no room for it. Duh for me.

Is this typical for these kits? We ended up siphoning out 4-5 cups of wine and then added the f-pack, degassed, added the other packets that we were instructed to, and then added some extra/siphoned wine to top up.

If it's typical, it's just something we have to remember in the future. I know that 6 gallons equals 6 gallons, and we should have left room- but to the newbie, we stood there for a few minutes wondering what the heck to do.

The instructions for most mist wine kits suggest removing some of the wine prior to doing the additive thing. I just checked the online instructions for this kit (not necessarily the same as those included with the kit), and it said
Siphon 2L of wine from the primary and reserve.

BTW, that's an Orchard Breezin' kit not a Grand Cru kit, even though the new boxes have a large Cru on the box.

Steve

Boy, do I feel like a major dolt right now! It sure does say that. I'm glad we did the right thing with it afterall. Thanks Steve!

Latest posts

Back