Add raisins as a general rule of thumb?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatyDinkle

Reaction score
I've been reading as much as I can here and now wonder...

Would it be good practice to add raisins to most kits, sort of as a general practice? Some say it leaves a slight raisin taste while others say it does not. But all seem to agree that it improves body.

I make mostly white kits that I consider to be in the mid-price range ($75-$130). Although, I do have fresh, local cayuga white juice ready to start soon and a $65 IM Exotic Fruit White Zin started for my daughter's upcoming 21st birthday.

I would add one pound of white raisins (try to find organic or sulfite-free) to secondary and leave in for about 10-12 days. Would tannin be required anytime raisins are added? I read that there is a tannin best for white wines.

And what's the difference between using bananas and raisins? We eat a ton of bananas in this house - can just the skin be used? In secondary? For how long? Raisins AND bananas / raisins OR bananas?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

While there are some on here who use raisins in their winemaking with great success, I just can't bring myself to add raisins. I look at them as an oxidized grape. Sorry, like I said there are some on here who used them with great success.

I am at a loss at how bananas are to be added to add tannin, there is very little tannins in a banana. I know some will add a banana as a nutrient.

My preference is to add powdered tannins at the beginning instead of raisins and sometimes finishing tannins.

I've done both a few times, ~7 days in "secondary", but never together. I've never done a side by side test so I can't even tell you if it improved the wine in anyway. I can tell you that neither ruined a wine.

Thanks, Julie. Can I ask, what tannin do you prefer for white wine? And, when you add it at the beginning, do you mean during primary fermentation or secondary?

Kathy (on the eastern side of PA)

I add raisins about one out of eight red kits. Never have in white. Only on big reds with no grape pack. Recently in Nero D Avola without grape pack. Never have done in secondary. Primary only and only for 7 days. Wine must age a while to fade the raisin taste.

I have added raisins to probably a dozen kits or so. I've used white, regular dark, and blackcurrant (Corinth). I also add tannins to most of my kits. Usually finishing tannins. I can tell you if you like a full-bodied white wine, the raisins will definitely bump up the body. Especially the more they age. I have come to realize I don't really care for the extra body that they add in the whites. But lots of my family members love it. They definitely make a difference in the reds that I find pretty appealing. I have never noticed a "raisin taste" in any of them.

Tannins, yes. I add extra tannins, but do not like "raisin flavor" in anything except what it is supposed to be in...cookies!

I just bought some Tannin Blanc today, but have yet to use it. It is a tannin specifically formulated for white wines. I went on a tannin extravaganza and bought up a bunch of different tannins to see what I might find out.

The Tannin Blanc is more of a tan color while all of the others are more brown in coloration.

As to fermenting whites with raisins, I don't think that is to style. The vast majority of whites are fermented without the skins, so I'm not sure why adding raisins (dried skins) would be beneficial.

Best, Fran

I have a CellarCraft Merlot kit that has skins with it. I was considering adding raisins but I don't think I will as the skins should do the trick, I will consider some finishing tannins before bottling and I may add some gum arabic.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Latest posts

Back