Other Actual Varietals of Kit Wine due to Renaming

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiderEh

Reaction score
I thought it would be nice to have all the different varietals listed with what style they actually replicate. As many of us know, names were changed due to copyright reasons of regional wines.

Hoping we can make this a sticky, everyone else please provide their input:

Brunello = Sangiovese
Vieux Chateau de Roi = Chateauneuf du Pape
Amorosso = Amarone
Chianti = Sangiovese
Barolo = Nebbiolo
Chamblaise = Chablis
Soave = Garganega
Castel del Papa = Chateauneuf du Pape
Valpola = Valpolicella
Bergamias = Beaujolais
Domaine de Brumes = Brouilly

Please correct any mistakes I may have made in spelling or otherwise! I know I must be missing a few.

Last edited:
Gewürztraminer = Riesling

These are two different grapes. While similar, not the same.

Petit Verdot is a grape variety too.

Chianti = Sangiovese
Barolo = Nebbiolo
Chamblaise = Chablis

Brunello is a region in Piedmont from which the wine is made per Italian rules the regional name is place on the label. the grape is actually a super Sangiovese a clone of the original Sangiovese.
again Cotes De Rhone is a regional designation in France, the wine is a blend of Syrah and Viognier. also by French rules the region used to designate the wine simian to Burgundy, Bordeux and Champagne.
I believe Vieux Chateau de Roi is a blend of grapes meant to resemble the wine made for the Pope, the name of which escapes me at the moment.
Petit Verdot is a legitimate varietal name.

I thought it would be nice to have all the different varietals listed with what style they actually replicate. As many of us know, names were changed due to copyright reasons of regional wines.

Hoping we can make this a sticky, everyone else please provide their input:

Brunello = Sangiovese
Vieux Chateau de Roi = Cotes du Rhone
Petit Verdot = ???
Gewürztraminer = Riesling

Please correct any mistakes I may have made in spelling or otherwise! I know I must be missing a few.

As already said Gewurztraminer is NOT Riesling.

Vieux Chateau du Roi is Chateauneuf du Pape.

Cotes du Rhone would probably be called Coteau Royale but I don't recall ever seeing a kit with this name.

Steve

One more: MM started calling Amarone "Amorosso"

edit: ...and another: Soave==Garganega

I thought Chianti was Sangiovese+Merlot

Last edited:
Updates made, keep it going guys! Is the german grape Elbling possibly liebsfrausmilch?

castel del papa = Chateauneuf du Pape
Valpola = Valpolicella

Last edited:
Does anyone know what domaine de brumes was? I heard it was a Beaujolais or Brouilly.

Last edited:
"Brunello is a region in Piedmont from which the wine is made per Italian rules the regional name is place on the label. the grape is actually a super Sangiovese a clone of the original Sangiovese."

I have to respectfully disagree with my friend, Sal, on this one. Brunello, my favorite wine, originates in the town of Montalcino in the Tuscany Region of Central Italy. The "onliest" grape used in Brunello is, as Sal says, Sangiovese. Brunello di Montalcino carries the prestigious DOCG designation and there are very strict rules for it production and aging. I do not believe the grapes are a super clone of Sangiovese (from "the blood of Jove") but wine makers in the area are very attentive to the process as violation carries penalties of fines and/or imprisonment. There have been years where the harvest has been judged to be inferior leading some wine makers not to make a Brunello for that vintage and instead relegate the production to other wines such as Rosso di Montalcino (DOC). Sangiovese grapes are grown throughout Italy and are the main component in many wines such as Chianti, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano and so named "Super Tuscans."

Brunello is a region in Piedmont from which the wine is made per Italian rules the regional name is place on the label. the grape is actually a super Sangiovese a clone of the original Sangiovese.
again Cotes De Rhone is a regional designation in France, the wine is a blend of Syrah and Viognier. also by French rules the region used to designate the wine simian to Burgundy, Bordeux and Champagne.
I believe Vieux Chateau de Roi is a blend of grapes meant to resemble the wine made for the Pope, the name of which escapes me at the moment.
Petit Verdot is a legitimate varietal name.

You may be confusing Barolo and Brunello - I've done it many times. Barolo is from the Piedmont while Brunello is from Montalcino area. I have read that brunello comes from a hybrid grape called sangiovese grosso. Barolo comes from nebbiolo.

Sal, a few years back my Bride and I spent a month in a little village called Castelmuzio which is in southern Tuscany. We were right between Montalcino and Monteplciano and spent many days and nights enjoying their signature wines, Brunello and Vino Nobile. It was a close to Heaven as I will probably ever get.

Updated! I think I have a few more to add I found googling if someone can confirm the below are correct:

Chablis is now Chamblaise
St-Emilion is now Jermillon,
Muscadet is now Manoir Blanc,
Pouilly Fuisse is now Ruisseau Blanc,
Graves is now Val-De-Grace,
Burgundy is now Bourgeron,
Bordeaux is now Bordailles