Acidity

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gwand

Reaction score
I am making peach as well as a blackberry wine from purées. The purées came with an acid pack. The directions say to add the acid blend. However the pH for the BlackBerry is 3.16 with a total acidity of .75. The Ph for the peach is 3.26 with a total acidity of .70. I was thinking of not adding the acid blend given the current acidities. What do you think? Thanks.

If your acid levels are me where you want them, I won't add the acid blend either. Theses didn't by chance come from Homewinery did they?

If your acid levels are me where you want them, I won't add the acid blend either. Theses didn't by chance come from Homewinery did they?

Julie, theses purées did come from Homewinery. I am following a recipe that you provided online. So far so good.

I was thinking it was. Again, if your acid is within the range that you like, don't use it. When I over ft rom them, I don't even buy the acid blend.

3.16 is a low PH for blackberry. We like a PH of 3.4 on it. The PH for the peach is perfect.

3.16 is a low PH for blackberry. We like a PH of 3.4 on it. The PH for the peach is perfect.

Is there a table or something available that gives recommendations similar to what you have above? I am sure much of it is personal preference, just looking for a starting point.

I would love a table like that! Also a table showing how much juice, within a range, you could expect to get from a fruit. For example, I read that grapes return 70% of their weight as liquid, so 1kg of grapes should be 700ml of wine (ideally).

There's no chart for PH. It's a matter of experience. Basically, we set our PH for red fruits at 3.4---pear and apple at 3.3 or 3.4---peach at 3.3--white grape at 3.2.

I have had these on a post it notes in my binder for a number of years and no longer remember where I got them from but they have helped me a lot especially when I first started to make wine

PH
Reds 3.4 - 3.65
Whites 3.1 - 3.45
Fruits 3.5 - 3.6

Acids
Dry white .65 - .75
Dry red .60 - .70
Sweet white .70 - .85
Sweet red .65 - .80
Fruits .55 - .75

Julie, theses purées did come from Homewinery. I am following a recipe that you provided online. So far so good.

Hi, is that their 1/2 gal juice concentrate?

I've been wondering if the wine you make from these is very good. I think their recipe calls for a 1/2 gal jug to make 5gal, they quote:
"All 64 ounce concentrates make 5 gallons of finished wine".

I thought that is not a lot of juice for a 5gal batch and maybe the wine will be thin in body and flavor??
Would it be better than a 'normal' dragon blood?

No it is not thin nor lacking in flavor. Mine comes out very well.

And I know I am going to make some mad but a fruit wine is not comparable to dragon's blood or skeeter pee. DB and SP are early drinkers, a fruit wine is a more fuller wine and takes longer to age.

Hi, is that their 1/2 gal juice concentrate?

I've been wondering if the wine you make from these is very good. I think their recipe calls for a 1/2 gal jug to make 5gal, they quote:
"All 64 ounce concentrates make 5 gallons of finished wine".

I thought that is not a lot of juice for a 5gal batch and maybe the wine will be thin in body and flavor??
Would it be better than a 'normal' dragon blood?

I just bottled the peach. And I blended it with my wine expert Pinot Gris. It is not thin at all. I am bulky aging the blackberry longer following Julie's advice. I have tasted it along the way and it is quite good. I added one can of frozen grape concentrate to the purée during primary. I plan to back sweeten either with more BlackBerry purée or the cab purée From Home Winery. Still debating this last step.

No it is not thin nor lacking in flavor. Mine comes out very well.

And I know I am going to make some mad but a fruit wine is not comparable to dragon's blood or skeeter pee. DB and SP are early drinkers, a fruit wine is a more fuller wine and takes longer to age.

Thanks Julie,

How long do you age those before they're really good?

At least 6 months but 9 to 12 months gives you a very good wine

Lastly, do you back sweeten your 100% fruit-base wine?

Thank you.....

Last edited:
Geek, one more thing, when backsweetening always taste and take it to just short of where your taste buds like it.

Back