Acid too High?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banannabiker

Reaction score
I have a batch of modified skeeter pee that is about 4 months old, and I sampled it-hoping it was ready to bottle. I started out with 2 ea 32 oz bottles of real lemon, but then added some frozen orange juice, fruit punch, and pinaple juice concentrate. The first drink wasn't too great, so I decided to check the acid level. I came up with a reading of 1.0 Tartaric, and I did the test carefully-so feel that the reading is accurate. Does that mean that I have a High Acid or High Alkaline wine? I decided not to mess with the wine until I knew more about geting the acid level right.​

Is that 1.0 p.p.t. (parts per thousand) or 1.0 percent tartaric?

That would be 1%

According to my test kit (Crosby & Baker brand), the % Tartaric should range between .55% and .75% for most peoples taste-depending on whether the wine is white grape, red grape, or fruit. I guess my mix would have to fall into the 'fruit' catagory, so the test kit says .55% to .65% for fruit wines. My problem is that I don't know if my 1% Tartaric reading inidicates higher acid or lower acid..nothing in the paperwork really says. I am assuming my wine has a higher than recommended acid level at 1%, but that is what I am trying to find out.

Thanks for the reply.

At 1.0% your acid is high. I know Skeeter Pee is normally sweetened, not sure if this is to balance the acid.

Latest posts

Back