Acid Reduction

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A while back (and I can't seem to find the thread) the topic of acid reduction came up.

It is very rare that I need to reduce my acid levels, but I have the need now.

Normally, I would use K-Bicarb, but it was mentioned that this can have a negative affect on the wine's flavor. Another compound was recomended instead.

Anybody remember what that compound was? Also dosage info would be great!

johnT.

Calcium carbonate prior to fermentation, Potasium Bicarbonate when fermentation is complete. I don't recall the amount but it should be on the label.

And to add to what REDBOATNY has said, my preference is to reduce acid prior to fermentation instead of after. Reducing acid after would also include cold stabilization.

Hey JohnT,

You should know that if pH rises, TA goes down, so just buy some pH and add it.
:dg
Seriously, calcium carbonate and potassium bicarbonate, along with cold stabilization, are the only remedies I know.

I agree with Julie. It is best to reduce upfront, but it depends on how high your acid is. If you try to reduce it more than 3% with calcium carbonate, it will result in a chalky taste I have been told. The remainder can be reduced with k-bisulfite and cold stabilization. Proceed with caution. Another option is dilution with water if the juice is "bold enough" or a combination of all the above which is common with northeast grapes.

John besides cold stabilization I don't add any chemicals to reduce acid. I either blend in another with with less acid or balance it out with sugar. You can add a lot of sugar to balance the acid but the percieved taste of sweetness will be a lot less since it's offset with the acid. Do a couple bench tests with a 100ml samples.

Calcuim Carbonate. That it. Thanks.

I would not want to water down or blend out the acid.

Redboatny, do you know what that percentage is based on? It is g/l or PH?

I need to re-check the Ph level, but the TA is steady at just over .70. The wine does taste a little tart for my tastes, and I was thinking of adjusting down to .67 g/l. On the TA front, that seems to be 4.2% of the total acid weight.

Of course, I want to check the PH and base any adjustments on that. I am sure that the PH is high, but need to bust out my buffers and meter to get a better picture on what needs to be done.

Baking Soda works too. A pinch or two to a glass or recently I added it prior to bottling. No ill effects other than it reduces acid. Does not cloud the wine either. jswordy mentioned using a pinch or two in a glass and I took it a step further to add it prior to bottling.
We buy baking soda in 10 pound bags at Sam's club because it is used in ponds to reduce the acid also.

Baking Soda works too. A pinch or two to a glass or recently I added it prior to bottling. No ill effects other than it reduces acid. Does not cloud the wine either. jswordy mentioned using a pinch or two in a glass and I took it a step further to add it prior to bottling.
We buy baking soda in 10 pound bags at Sam's club because it is used in ponds to reduce the acid also.

Baking soda = potassium bicarbonate is one; sodium bicarbonate is the other one

I used it in the muscadine primary. The moonshiner's wife told me about it. Sammy used it prior to bottling, which I had never done. Good to know about the results of the experiment, as it is another tool in the box and a common household item.

Last edited:

Do you remember how much you added to the entire batch? I have a wine already bottled that is too acidic, so I will add a few pinches to a bottle and try it.

No, not at bottling, I just kept adding to the carboy until it did not taste acidic. Depending on the wine a pinch or two per glass does the trick.

Latest posts

Back