Acid Levels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineon4

Reaction score
I have 5 gal of Cherry made from fruit and 5 gal of blackberry made from fruit. It is in the carboys sitting at .990 but the taste is a little flat. I am looking to adjust the acid which is a step I have never done before and do not want to ruin this wine. Any recommendations ?

Last edited:
Buy a titration kit, they are about $10, I would have the acid around .65% - .70%

Julie,

Can I adjust the levels when the wine has finished? I plan to check the acid in the must of all future batches. I plan to stop at the brew shop on my way home from work today and buy a test kit and some acid blend. Anything else I should stock up on. :hh

It is best to adjust acid prior to fermentation but you can adjust after fermentation.

Julie,

Can I adjust the levels when the wine has finished? I plan to check the acid in the must of all future batches. I plan to stop at the brew shop on my way home from work today and buy a test kit and some acid blend. Anything else I should stock up on. :hh

Get some tartaric acid instead of acid blend. I think that you will find that it gives better results.

could be even higher for cherry wine (.75)

i'll admit, i like most of my whites and fruits to have a bit of an acidic "crispness", so to speak, especially since i also like them a bit on the sweeter side as well....no, not dessert sweet, but about a semi-sweet, unless we are taking about a late harvest riesling...and this way, the acid helps to balance it out and you can tell that you are drinking wine and not juice or kool-aid....

Thanks, I will try these ideas. May just adjust small amounts and get it to where my wife and I will enjoy it.

LOL, I actually like my fruit wines around .75 - ,80 but thought that was just me.

lol julie....no, you are not the only one....lol...no, i don't like them to be like eating "sour patch kids", but i do enjoy that bit of acid bite, especially when it comes to apple or cherry...as i call it, a little "zing" on the tongue....lol... even when it comes to "WELCH'S".....roflmao....:)
otherwise, it goes down wwwaaaaayyyyyyy to easily, like drinking a mist kit wine....could just grab the bottle and down it by myself....lol...

Last edited:
lol julie....no, you are not the only one....lol...no, i don't like them to be like eating "sour patch kids", but i do enjoy that bit of acid bite, especially when it comes to apple or cherry...as i call it, a little "zing" on the tongue....lol... even when it comes to "WELCH'S".....roflmao....:)
otherwise, it goes down wwwaaaaayyyyyyy to easily, like drinking a mist kit wine....could just grab the bottle and down it by myself....lol...

Now, how did Welches come into this?

i know....i know....i can almost hear it from julie already....GET IN THE CORNER!!!!!....lol....

LOL, the problem is Runningwolf has stocked the corner with Welch's!!!! :)

LOL, the problem is Runningwolf has stocked the corner with Welch's!!!! :)

We've just gotta drink it all before JohnT shows up for one reason or another
Or say we drank it all, and just rip off the labels to everything

So how bout those Acids?
(Derail much? :) )

ARRRRRRRGH!

Perhaps you can also bring some peanut butter beer to go along with it!

:s

Peanut butter beer!!!!!!!!!!!

Well that is an idea since beer and peanuts go together so well :)

Back