Other ABV Crafted Series

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winemaker81

wine dabbler
Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with the ABC Crafted Series brand? My niece found a Gamay kit she'd like to make, but we are unfamiliar with the vendor. Good, bad, or indifferent?

Thanks!

EDIT: I fixed the typo in this post, but can't change the thread title.

Last edited:
Do you mean ABC Crafted Series I assume?
It's obvious I'm a winemaker. My brain says "ABC" and my fingers automagically type "ABV". ;) 🤣

I did it twice, in the title and the first post. And when I proof read before posting, I still didn't see it!

Yes, ABC Crafted Series.

NOTE: I just typed "ABV Crafted Series" again, but this time I caught it!! 🤣

I use the ABC Crafted kits but with tweaks. I think they are the same as the old Fontana series. Sometimes they run good sales BOGO or buy two and get one free. I say go for it.

I use the med body kits for a straight varietal (Cab Sav is the family favorite). I bump the ABV with simple syrup, i can't remember but i think a quart of 1:1 syrup, one cup of French oak chips and one cup of Zante currants. I age on oak for 5 to 9 months. Mine ends up with a tad of residual sweetness but it is what the family guzzles no matter what they claim to like best! In fact once a bottle is open at a family gathering, it goes first. I've starting making three kits at a time.

I've used several and will buy again when they run the B2G1 deal but I will try the heavier body kits next time. The zin blush was tasty but a little one note (?) I guess. I've never added sugar but I do short the water a bit and added glycerin at bottling time. If anyone can make these kits shine you can.

I like these kits and find them fun ones to tweak. I've done the Merlot, Malbec, Zinf Blush, Tempranillo, Washington State Yakima Red Blend (all of which were the medium bodied 11.5%. I also did the heavy bodied Corvina. These have all produced very easy drinkers; not in the same league (in my opinion) as the big boys high end kits, but very enjoyable.
The ABC Crafted wines used to be called Wine Lovers, so if you search through the Tweaking Cheap Kits thread you might get more hits with Wine Lovers as opposed to ABC Crafted. I also consider the Fontana wines the same since they are ABC Crafted although I believe all of their offerings come in at around 12-12.5% ABV. Also a reasonably priced kit that my guests enjoy.

I've made several purchases from this company (4 or 5), in fact, I had a small order of shrink capsules and a few other things arrive yesterday. Although I haven't ordered a wine kit, I can still tell you the customer service is excellent with everything I've ordered.

Thanks for the useful feedback!

My niece recently had a Jadot Beaujolais which she really liked, so she and her husband decided to make Gamay. She's trying to emulate the Jadot (as much as one can do with a kit). After reading the feedback and the kit descriptions, I recommended she buy the heavy kit.

Fermentation and aging oak are a given.

I was thinking of Zante currants, but see that ABC has "red wine raisins". Are the raisins worth it, or does using currants make no difference, other than saving a few $$$?

Thanks for the useful feedback!

My niece recently had a Jadot Beaujolais which she really liked, so she and her husband decided to make Gamay. She's trying to emulate the Jadot (as much as one can do with a kit). After reading the feedback and the kit descriptions, I recommended she buy the heavy kit.

Fermentation and aging oak are a given.

I was thinking of Zante currants, but see that ABC has "red wine raisins". Are the raisins worth it, or does using currants make no difference, other than saving a few $$$?
The heavy bodied Washington Merlot was pretty good. I bought a lug of Merlot and made my own grape skin packs. Added one to the Merlot. Oaked with a Bordeaux blend, cubes.

Turned out quite nice. I would definitely go with the heavy bodied, even with the Gamay.

I've bought several Gamay kits since ABV crafted is the only vendor for this variety. All have been sensational Beaujolais type wine. I have added a skin pack from a previous kit from Finer Wines. I also use RC212 yeast.

I’ve recently found Beaujolais wine and love it. I’ve been curious about the ABC crafted kits and their quality.
Yes, the ABV Crafted Gamay is very much like a Beaujolais. Well balanced, fruit forward, with lots of varietal character. I've made the light version several times, sometimes adding used skins from another wine kit. I have a heavy bodied Gamay under way at this time.

I've bought a number of items (wine kits, cider kits, and infusions) from ABC, and as someone mentioned above, they are Fontana or extremely similar, but have more choices. My recommendation would be to stick with medium or bigger kits. They often have good deals that you can capitalize on as well. Their Nebbiolo is very good. So is their Sauvignon Blanc, Cab. I'll add in tannin and/or oak chips or berries (so far I've only tried adding crowberries). I bought a couple of their cider kits last month, tried only one so far, and am very happy with the results.

As I mentioned, I have been very satisfied with the Gamay kits that I got from Crafted Series. I would like to add that their heavy-bodied kits use a full 4.22 gallons of concentrate. Most other kits have a bit over 2 gallons of concentrate.

I'm in Seattle and use an outdoor shed for my fermenting. I have one of these kits fermenting.

1696105294013.png

I'm thinking that I may have to apply some heat to help the yeast finish, temps are getting cooler at night now.

1696105341664.png

Attachments

• 1696105210242.png
    1696105210242.png
    198.6 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back