a question of temperature

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phador

Green
Reaction score
I live in the Northeast and summer is on its way. I'm looking for a place to store/age my young wines (I'm very new to this) I have a house with a old cellar that is dark and dry, but the temperature seems to be at a constant of 60 by my readings for the past week or so. Is this too warm of a temp to age/store wine?

Phador, that is an excellent temperature. The "ideal" temperature is usually stated as 55 degrees F. When you say that the cellar is "dry" what do you mean? Again, the "ideal" relative humidity is 75%. If you get too dry, you can dry out corks and have all kind of problems. The good thing that you stated is that the temperature is relatively constant. This is a good thing along with protection fro UV rays and vibration.

I don't have an exact humidity reading, I describe it as dry relative to how things feel outside...very crude way to put it. I guess I will look into getting a more accurate reading. I'm glad to hear 60F is a good temp, I was beginning to worry I would have no where to go with the few batches I started.

Latest posts

Back