A little pre-planning is in order

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CajunJay

Reaction score
Well guys & gals, a few more days and Christmas holidays will have come and gone. I am hoping to celebrate with family and friends and share some of my cranberry wine. Next Thanksgiving I would like to be sharing my pumpkin wine. I am trying something new and boy does it smell fantastic. I bought lots of canned pumpkin for making pumpkin rolls, pies and biscotti. I baked the last of the biscotti yesterday and decided I needed to use most all the pumpkin on hand. If all goes well it will be cleared and bottled a few months before it's needed. Same goes for cranberry. I have never been lucky enuf to catch cranberries on discount right after the holidays but that doesn't mean I'll stop trying. I have gotten some fairly priced whole cranberry sauce and made wine from that a few times. This is fantastic once it's stable and you flavor/sweeten with a can or two of concentrated cranberry juice. I'll be starting this as soon as the pumpkin is in secondary.

So there you have it, pre-planning for next year. It has to happen if you want those festive wines to be ready to serve and impress your guests. Get that pumpkin going if you are so inclined. Get ready for those cranberries or pick up some canned sauce. You won't be sorry for this one. I know you guys are picture hounds so I PROMISE once the yeast starts to feast I'll take a pic of the pumpkin wine in primary and post it. I just pitched it this morning.

Any other pre-planned holiday wines out there?

Our holiday wines are already bottled and just doing their magic for next year. I have a 2 pumpkins (wine and a spiced mead) and a cranberry trio (wine, mead and a cyser) all will be 2 years old and should be ready for next year. The wines I know will be ready the others may need more time. I have already bottled the 2011 holiday wines and cranberries are in the freezer for 2012. Yes I try to plan ahead!
VC

mine is accidental....i wad the blessing of 11 bushels of peaches thrown at me...too seven and made 9 cases of peach lighting....ohhhhh is it good....gave three to my friend and three to the framer who gave the peaches.....i never made this before...some folks here pointed me in the right direction....and i thank them for that..it is damn good stuff and i dont say that often

I have a 2008 All Juice Pinot Noir bottled and set aside and a 2009 RJS Orange Chocolate Port in the carboy and bulk aging. The problem with the latter is that it is only 3 gallons and it goes quick so, I am ordering another 3 gallons today. The younger set LOVES the sweet stuff.
smiley1.gif

Thanks for the tips!

When I am getting my wrapping paper for next year, I will aslo get some wine supplies!

Like I need a reason...........
smiley2.gif

VC, my cranberry I am sharing this year is a little over 2 years old. I have a few bottles of 1 year old Cranberry Beaujolais in storage but haven't started any since. I guess I had better get better at that pre-planning myself.

I need to get cracking on next years Christmas give away. The wine is made and has been aging, I just need to bottle and print the labels. Not much incentive to do anything, because hubby does not need the kegs and bottles take up more space. And I need to order corks and capsules from George.
VC

Latest posts

Back