A good place for the basics of port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rstar26

Reaction score
As I mentions in a earlier thread of mine, i have been batting the idea around of making a batch of saskatoon berry port in the 3 gallon carboy i have kicking around. I am pretty nebish at this whole game and this will be the forst thing i try that require me making a juice/must from scratch. Is there anywhere on here i can kind a basic fuit port recipe/guide that has an explantion of the steps and things i need to achieve?

I do have a few basic qestions i would like to ask.

1. How many #'s of berries is a good starting point for a 3 gallon batch? Saskatoons are a naturally sweet berry

2. What is generally the best way to extract the juice/flavour from a berry?

3. Is the starting SG for a port basically the same as a wine (1.085 ish?)

4. Any other tips or advice?

We don't have any Saskatoon berries here in Ontario otherwise I'd give them a try.
Jack Keller has several recipes on his website you can have a look at them here.
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/saskatoo.asp
His first recipe has more fruit per gallon than the other two, I would use those numbers if you have lots of fruit.
Just a caution, his recipes are in U.S. measurements so a pint is equal to 16 ounces instead of 20 ounces for an imperial pint.
Also a U.S. gallon is equal to 128 ounces as opposed to 160 ounces for an imperial gallon.
If you want to convert his recipe to imperial measurements multiply by 1.25
I have no experience with port wines I can't help you beyond this.

Thanks for those links, that will be helpful. Does anyone else have any advice or step lists for ports?

I just started small batches of port. My first experience was when I didn't like the blueberry wine I made, so I dumped the 4 bottles in the primary and added a pint of brandy and made a flavor pack with 2 lbs of fresh blueberries. Excellent!!!
I've now got a mixed berry port going that I think will be stronger initially so I'm only going to add a flavor pack. I started with 3 large jars of home made jam that we aren't eating fast enough and two frozen concentrate welches. I will add 10 lbs of strawberries via a flavor pack.

There are kits you can buy that are cheap - WE has one for $79 for 15 bottles. Not bad!

I've heard that your ingredients should include malt for more body. I add some tannin instead. Port is fun to experiment with.

So one question i have is: Do you start with a higher SG or still at around 1.090 and ferment to dry and then add the fortification spirit? Or do you ferment less and cut it off with the fortification spirit?

Back