A first for me today

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
I bottled my 2014 Peach Wine a few weeks back. A couple weeks prior to that, I (thought I) sorbated and back sweetened. Fast forward to tonight, and I remembered I needed to lay the bottles down. I noticed a lot of sediment floating around, so I shook a bottle up and saw a lot of bubbles. So I ran upstairs, opened one, and poured a couple ounces. Sure enough, sparkling peach wine! Fortunately, this was only a 3 gallon batch. So I dumped 15 bottles back into a carboy and added some sulfite and sorbate. Now to start clearing again. This was tough enough to clear the first time, I'm not looking forward to the second. Just glad I caught it before corks started popping. :slp

I hope this comes out okay. It is always frustrating when things go sideways.

However, it is a good reminder at least for me: document, document, document.

I easily forget or get confused on what I have done, particularly if I am working with multiple batches.

I have a spread sheet, but I sometimes neglect to update it. I need to do better at that part of my wine making.

Thanks for the reminder - I hope the cost is minimal for you.

Cody

Last edited:
I hope this comes out okay. It is always frustrating when things go sideways.

However, it is a good reminder at least for me: document, document, document.

I easily forget or get confused on what I have done, particularly if I am working with multiple batches.

I have a spread sheet, but I sometimes neglect to update it. I need to do better at that part of my wine making.

Thanks for the reminder - I hope the cost is minimal for you.

Cody

I'm an avid note taker but it's just being able to read them later:d

Perhaps the lack of sorbate is the reason that it took so long to clear? Perhaps it will clear faster now that you have added some?

Could also be that you DIDN'T forget the sorbate and have OSS. (Old Sorbate Syndrome) Happened to my last sorbated batch, threw it all out and bought some fresh stuff. Lost 4 bottles to OSS and rendered a few undrinkable from the acidic taste that just wouldn't go away.

We had that happen to us after the last bottling. I am thinking that we also had some bad sorbate. We had two batches that we had to dump and redo the sorbate and k meta. We had only one that blew its cork, thank goodness we caught the rest of them in time.

We had that happen to us after the last bottling. I am thinking that we also had some bad sorbate. We had two batches that we had to dump and redo the sorbate and k meta. We had only one that blew its cork, thank goodness we caught the rest of them in time.

Not bad sorbate, just it seems to get less potent over time. I've heard 6 months and I've heard a year until it becomes ineffective. All I know is that it really does become ineffective!

It's possible I had some old stuff. I don't keep it around, just keep a packet from a kit on occasion. Usually, I'm pretty good about getting rid of older ones as I start a new kit. Who knows. I'm just glad I caught it. What's interesting is that this re-fermentation seems to have had a delayed start. It was 9 days from the time I sweetened to when I bottled. There was no sign of CO2 or sediment in the carboy at bottling time.

Latest posts

Back