9 gallon carboy from Pier One?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MilesDavis

Reaction score
My wife and I received a gift card to Pier One from some friends. Now, I'm really not one for curios and knick-knacks, but I decided to go along and take a look anyway.
So, we're in the store for awhile and make our way to the vase section where I spot, on the bottom shelf, a +/- 3 gallon "vase" made of clear glass that looks like it would easily accept a #8 stopper. While I'm checking it out, my wife says "look up". Whereupon I see a beautiful bulbous demijohn. And it's the same amount as the giftcard. After examining the quality (made in Spain, according to the tag), the decision is made to give it a new home and purpose.
I started a batch of Apfelwein in it that very evening. It perfectly fits 17 half-gallon bottles of apple juice plus 1700 grams of dextrose. Nice.
Sometimes, I would rather watch bubbles rise than watch TV. Weird..

DSCF0848.jpg

DSCF0849.jpg

Post some pictures when you clean it. I have looked at those but worry how to handle and clean it.

Very Cool Miles. May I ask how much? I also can be somewhat hypnotized by the rising CO2 and the gentle sizzle that sometimes accompanies the ferment.

Post some pictures when you clean it. I have looked at those but worry how to handle and clean it.
That's it in the pic. Seeing as how it probably close to 100 pounds when full, I filled it where it will sit during the entire fermentation process. Which is also why I'm using it for apfelwein.

Very Cool Miles. May I ask how much?

It was $49

Latest posts

Back