80 pounds of muscadine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bg7mm

Reaction score
we put up 80 pounds this morning, picked , crushed and set into primaries, the stuffs already burping like mad. last year we separated the blacks and golds but this year we threw it all together. we made a batch last year with a few blacks mixed in a batch of golds and it made a beautiful blush wine, we're going for pink this year. tomorrow i'll try to pick another 80 pounds. eckraus recipe calls for champain yeast but i'm using lavins 1118. the recipe calls for 5 gallon batches with 30 pounds of fruit, we go quite abit over the 30 pounds called for so instead of 3/4 teaspoon of pictic enyzmes we add 1 full teaspoon to break down the extra fruit. we're actually using about 42 or 43 pounds of fruit per set. the recipe worked fine last year so hoping for some same results. I use 9 pounds of sugar called for in the 5 gallon recipe. our muscadine are carry a very high sugar content this year, sweet as candy and very aromatic

You may have some nice rocket fuel with that combination of quantity of grapes, sweetness of grapes, and added sugar. Do you use a hydrometer?

no hydrometer on this batch

seth, this is old school, dad and uncle made so much great wine years ago, no chemistry equipment and guidelines like we use in todays wine making world, I have loads of muscadine wine stashed away from previous years I had a lot to play with this year so I did

I can tell you stories of wine bottles exploding under the house in the middle of the night . some years they were successful, some years not but they often made great wine back then

Of course, not saying it is not possible. It is just good to be aware of what techniques are out their and the advantages of using them is all.

Looking at what you are doing, and comparing it to what I have played around with in the past, I would think you will get around 15-16% ABV when you are done. In my area it is amazing the amount of people that want a wine with this level ABV. Mostly it is hunters that want to bring the wine to the camp mid winter. When I do not feel like breaking out the hydrometer I fall back to my country recipe for muscadine wine and just throw every thing in the fermenter and let it go.

I use the square tough tubs from eckraus, I have a few 9 gallons and one 14 gallon. I really enjoy using these tubs instead of 6 gallon buckets. I ferment everything in them and they're so easy to clean. they have a spigot too for easy transfer to secondary

toddrod, bingo on the camp wine, duck and deer camp, we bring it there by the cases. I don't drink much because I have diabeties but the friends and hunting buddies seem to have an affliction for it. out of gallon jugs

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back