6th Annual MVWS Wine Competition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobtruetken

Reaction score
The MVWS Wine Competition will be February 23rd, 2014. Deadline for entry form and wines will be February 14th.

Last year, we had 376 entries from 13 states and Manitoba, Canada. We are expecting more entries this year.

The Best of Show and Winemaker of the Year Awards will each receive an oak barrel.

For more information and to download the brochure, visit www.mvws.org

Last edited:
How many of you are entering the competition this year? Those of you that entered last year, what did you think?

The entries are starting to pour in. It is not too late to get yours in.
We have some great sponsors this year.

All In One Wine Pump (thanks Steve)
A&K Cooperage (thanks Matt)
St. Louis Wine and Beermaking (thanks Dave)
EC Kraus (thanks Ed)
Brew Your Own Brew (thanks Gary)
Curds and Wine (thanks G)
Colorado Homebrew Supply (thanks Eric)
Worms Way
More Wine (thanks Andrew)
Wyeast (thanks Candy)
White Labs (thanks Megan)
Lallemand (thanks Marie)
My Own Labels (thanks Travis)
Brooklyn Homebrew out of New York (thanks Danielle)
Bayfield Labels (thanks Kim)

Our very own member of Winemaking Talk,
Brew and Wine Supply (thanks Doug)

Sponsors from coast to coast

Last edited:
Live Gold Medal Results

Again this year, we will be posting the unofficial gold medals winners on our facebook page as the competition is in progress. So as the day goes on, there will be several posts on the facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/MissouriValleyWineSociety

It was such a hit last year with everyone, we decided to do it again this year.
Once I get your wines, I will assign an entry number and email you those numbers.
I will post the entry number and the wine entered on the facebook page.

Also, if you have not registered on our web site www.mvws.org, I would encourage you to do so. Once I am ready to post the results, I will send an email out to all registered users that the results are available. My goal is to have everything done by March 13th which is our March Wine Club meeting. Those present at the meeting will get first notice of the results. I will then notify all the registered users that the results will be posted that weekend.

Last edited:
Being new to this sort of thing, what is the advantage to entering your wine with all the sponsors listed? Do you award gifts/gift certificates to various winners?

Being new to this sort of thing, what is the advantage to entering your wine with all the sponsors listed? Do you award gifts/gift certificates to various winners?

I'll jump in and answer this. I am a member of this wine club, but this isn't official, this is just what I think I might know and is subject to being told I am wrong.

I do know that there is a very good prize for both the Best of Show wine and the winemaker of the year (enter 6 or more wines, top 6 highest average score). The high scoring wines (I think last year we had enough prizes for it to be the top three in each category) get prizes of some sort. Generally gift certificates, but in some cases it is swag stuff.

Probably the biggest thing you get back is some honest feedback from people who deal with wine all the time. One of the biggest things we stress to each judge (and some judges are not asked back if they fail to live up to this) is give comments, such as tastes flat needs more acidity, alcohol to high for type of wine, tastes slightly oxidized watch your air exposure. I have found the comments to be generally helpful.

cmason1957,
Thanks for the information. That makes perfect sense to the contest newbie.

Congrats and well done guys! That is exciting to see some of our members up on the board.

That is funny mine is 152, also a Vidal. Mine was bone dry. Whites seemed to do very well this year. Reds, not so great.

Cool!! Mine was a semi-sweet. Although I like a drier version. I am going to make my next Vidal a dry one.

Did you oak yours or do an mlf??

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Latest posts

Back