5 gal. Carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James

Reaction score
Does anyone ever, at some point in the wine making process, step down to the 5 gal carboy as oppossed to topping up or adding marbles? Marbles work of course though I'll soon need a wheel barrow to keep them in, and they are just one more thing to clean. Waste is a factor also with the 5 gal carboy.
I'm thinking ahead to some of the higher end kits I want to try. I really want to make them special.

Any thoughts?

James said:
Does anyone ever, at some point in the wine making process, step down to the 5 gal carboy as oppossed to topping up or adding marbles? Marbles work of course though I'll soon need a wheel barrow to keep them in, and they are just one more thing to clean. Waste is a factor also with the 5 gal carboy.
I'm thinking ahead to some of the higher end kits I want to try. I really want to make them special.

Any thoughts?

I have only three batches going and its my first time for any of them,I have never bottled yet either so im no expert, butI have stepped down from 6 gal racking to a 5 gal once already andI have used the marble technique on my very first batch of fresh concorde grapes they are in the 7 month stage.

James, I do this every time. I use a 5 gallon carboy, a 1.5 liter jar and a bottle, sometimes 750 ML, sometimes 375 ML, depends on what I need. When it comes time to clear, stabilize or add F packs etc..., I will either rack to a clean sanitized primary, or preferably into a 6 gallon carboy. I will add all the wine together (is it wine then? or still must?), do what I need to do, including degassing sometimes thenput it back into the 5 gallon carboy and the smaller bottles. I think thats better than adding anything to the must, but everyone has different and interesting techniques.

It is must until you pitch the yeast. Then it is wine. Probably, technically as soon as the yeast start converting the sugars, but it is widely accepted that as soon as you pitch the yeast, it changes from must to wine. This is the dividing line used by most, if not all, states.

Most wine kits are designed with the idea you will need to add no more than 1 liter of water. If you are good with your rackings (and don't sample too much), you should be fine to stay in a 6-gallon for the first racking after adding the stabilizers and fining agents. Subsequent racking are an excellent time to start racking down or adding marbles or similar wine. Since I am trying to learn about each wine I sell, I have started to do more rackings down to preserve the characteristics of each kit. Besides, now I have plenty of wine to use for topping off without dipping into my stash!
smiley4.gif

Thanks Jobe05 and George. I think i'll try "racking down" instead of so manymarbles next time.

Now I wonder where I could find some 5 gal. carboys? Hmmmm?

Back