3-gallon carboy height

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raptor99

Fruit Wine Alchemist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been using 1-gallon carboys for experimental batches. I am planning on getting some 3-gallon carboys, but I want to be sure that I have a place to put them. So I have a simple question:
* How tall is a 3-gallon carboy by itself?
* How tall is it with an airlock?

Thanks!

I have been using 1-gallon carboys for experimental batches. I am planning on getting some 3-gallon carboys, but I want to be sure that I have a place to put them. So I have a simple question:
* How tall is a 3-gallon carboy by itself?
* How tall is it with an airlock?

Thanks!
16.5 and 21.5 inches.

One of my 3 gallons is 16", the other is 18", so the exact height depends on the manufacturer.

In general, the additional height of the stopper and airlock should be roughly the same as for your 5 gallon carboys. However, the size of the stopper, the diameter of the carboy's throat, the height of the airlock, and how deeply the airlock sets in the dropper are all variables.

I'd figure out the tallest you expect, then add at least 3", as if it's on a shelf, you'll need room to get the carboy off the shelf and will need additional clearance.

Latest posts

Back