2018 Harford Vineyard Chilean Grape/Juice Pickup

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are at least saying at this point the the juice buckets and the red grape are coming in the second week. Rare that they all come in at the same time, but I think in 2015 they did. So here's crossing my fingers AND toes, Fred!

I would really like to know how they process the juice in a manner to get the color and all the other goodies. What precautions are they taking with the grapes not being processed into juice and how long does the process take. I'm really happy the juice and grapes are coming in at the same time but I was just wondering.

I called them and asked if I could get them both at the same time and crushed. Got a call back and was told that if I order, and put that in the comments they will crush/de-stem and freeze the grapes for me so i can pick it up at the same time as the juice. I'm thinking about 2 or 3 lugs of grapes with the juice to add some of that missing feel and color

I called them and asked if I could get them both at the same time and crushed. Got a call back and was told that if I order, and put that in the comments they will crush/de-stem and freeze the grapes for me so i can pick it up at the same time as the juice. I'm thinking about 2 or 3 lugs of grapes with the juice to add some of that missing feel and color
I've always held back on a bigger order and try to match the grape arrival time with the bucket. Seems like if they are willing to do that I should order some more grapes!

I may have to rethink the Pinotage. It appears it is susceptible to VA plus you don't know how it was processed.

http://winefolly.com/review/give-pinotage-wine-taste/
I'll post so those who haven't heard my pinotage tale of woe... I made an all-grape SA Pinotage batch from Harford a couple years ago. Before that, I read about it and tasted several bottles in the name of grueling research. ;) I found that I really liked the pinotage I tasted and so moved forward. I found articles that talked about a stink and that South Africans will sometime correct by putting a penny in a glass of a stinky one, and it's just an accepted thing. Fast forward through the process, which was exactly the same stuff I always do, and the wine was stinky when I added kmeta to stabilize. I splash-racked and added more kmeta, let it age a year - still stinky. I added Reduless to try and reduce the stink, and ended up tossing the batch after two years.

I'm not saying folks shouldn't try it, just that it's a unique flavor, and one of only two batches I've thrown out in the course of six years of making wine. It might be worth being really proactive on yeast type and nutrients if it's a somewhat stink-possible wine...

I'll post so those who haven't heard my pinotage tale of woe... I made an all-grape SA Pinotage batch from Harford a couple years ago. Before that, I read about it and tasted several bottles in the name of grueling research. ;) I found that I really liked the pinotage I tasted and so moved forward. I found articles that talked about a stink and that South Africans will sometime correct by putting a penny in a glass of a stinky one, and it's just an accepted thing. Fast forward through the process, which was exactly the same stuff I always do, and the wine was stinky when I added kmeta to stabilize. I splash-racked and added more kmeta, let it age a year - still stinky. I added Reduless to try and reduce the stink, and ended up tossing the batch after two years.

I'm not saying folks shouldn't try it, just that it's a unique flavor, and one of only two batches I've thrown out in the course of six years of making wine. It might be worth being really proactive on yeast type and nutrients if it's a somewhat stink-possible wine...

The other thing is that you should try to use Reduless sooner rather than wait. As the H2S sits around, it is able to form more stable (but still stinky) compounds (dithiols, if I recall correctly). Those are not efficiently removed by copper or Reduless.

Will take this into consideration, doesn't change my mind, but will accept it as a challenge. But I feel pretty confident after bringing last years chilean malbec back from the sewer smell to a very drinkable wine with no stink. I know the grape can tend toward acetaldehyde, but from what I have read a ferment on the warmer side will diminish this possibility. Thanks for the info.

I had a petit syrah from a few years ago that had server burnt rubber, I tried the penny trick on a glass or two, but did not feel comfortable with uncontrolled cooper. It amazingly dissipated after a year and got very good.

@sour_grapes think I will have some reduless on hand in case my Pinotage goes this way.[/QUOTE]

Saw an email this morning, guess most everything is in (except for a few whole grapes from Chile (reds)). Have to go to a memorial service for my Mom's sister tomorrow, so might just as well head South on 83 and hit Harford before it closes. Really looking forward to using my new lawn tractor to do the yard, but I think it's supposed to rain tomorrow. In reality I actually want to see if I have to modify the drink holder on the tractor to keep my beer from getting too frothy.

Once again, another weekend of running around and not doing wine stuff (except starting two new batches). I really need to bottle some wine!

My 1 lug of PV arrived, but not my 9 lugs of Carmenere. Thanks @mainshipfred for grabbing that lonely single lug for me while you were there. I'll return the favor when the Carmenere comes in. I relaxed on the deck w/ a glass of Forza while I destemed the single lug by hand. Then I loaded the grapes into ziplock bags and put them in the freezer to wait for the rest of their little purple friends.

My 1 lug of PV arrived, but not my 9 lugs of Carmenere. Thanks @mainshipfred for grabbing that lonely single lug for me while you were there. I'll return the favor when the Carmenere comes in. I relaxed on the deck w/ a glass of Forza while I destemed the single lug by hand. Then I loaded the grapes into ziplock bags and put them in the freezer to wait for the rest of their little purple friends.
Yeah, I'm surprised most everything turned up in one shipment. From the email it still sounds like certain items can still be ordered, I was just expecting stuff the second weekend of May. Best laid plans....

Oh, how is your Forza coming along?

I'm only getting a couple of buckets and a lug for one of the buckets, but you're image of the grapes reminded me to check my inventory of paint strainer bags. Good to go. Now off on my 4 hour round trip (Newport/Forest Hill/back home).

Just used my crusher destemmer for the first time. What a neat piece of equipment. Stems came out as clean as could be. Out of 7 lugs of SA Cab I got about 11-12 gallons of must which I split up into 3 buckets. Really like the readings as well Ph 3.64, SG 1.997 and S02 6ppm. Also crushed 2 lugs of Chilean Malbec about 4 gallons Ph 3.84, SG 1.888 and S02 9ppm. The Malbec I'm freezing for a few weeks and will wait until tomorrow or Monday to pitch the yeast in the Cab which is in my cooler. Each bucket has Lallzyme, Opti Red, Chestnut tannins and a little Peptic Enzyme.

SG 1.997, S02 6ppm.
Maybe 1.0997? I like the SO2 number.
SG 1.888 and S02 9ppm.
1.0888? I like that SO2 too!

I put my one lug 'o grapes in a cooler I carry in my car to bring home frozen stuff and milk, etc, from the grocery store. I opened the cooler to check the whole grape temperature, and I could easily smell SO2. I'm glad to hear it isn't as high as I thought it might be, thanks for the numbers, that really helps!

Maybe 1.0997? I like the SO2 number.

1.0888? I like that SO2 too!

I put my one lug 'o grapes in a cooler I carry in my car to bring home frozen stuff and milk, etc, from the grocery store. I opened the cooler to check the whole grape temperature, and I could easily smell SO2. I'm glad to hear it isn't as high as I thought it might be, thanks for the numbers, that really helps!

Oops, were did that zero go. Do you think you were smelling the pads. I also rinsed the grapes before crushing.

Stuff happens with zeros....I think I was definitely smelling the pads. I finally destemmed and crushed the lug I got today. Had a nose full of sulphur, so I think those pads are definitely loaded. How else could they get the grapes to us in decent condition after picking at the end of March? (at least that is the info on the label for my lug)

Edit: my brix was 21.5 (Merlot grapes to pair with a Cab Sauv juice bucket (also added 6 lbs of Dornfelder used skins for some added tannins))

Edit 2: Cab Sauv bucket was at pH 3.72, I can live with that. Riesling bucket was 4.00, not real happy with that one...

4-28-19_merlot.jpg

Last edited:
Moved the Riesling to the basement this morning, about 69*F upstairs (went to 72*F this afternoon), 61.5*F downstairs. Slowed down a bit, but added some Fermaid O this morning, nice even blurping from the airlock (using BA11 yeast on this one). Had as nice of a cap as you can with 18 lbs of Merlot and 6 lbs of used Dornfelder skins (6 gallon Cab Sauv bucket), still about 2 inches thick. Added some Fermaid O to that this morning, no off smells and actually not smelling anything unless I open up the brute. May be a bit low of a temperature for BDX. Expecting tomorrow to be as warm as today (~86*F outside) so inside the house is slowly warming, and should help out the Cab Sauv/Merlot/Dornfelder ferment.

Did you adjust the Riesling at all or are going to wait for a pH reading after ferment? Seems like a some of the white juice buckets are coming in high in pH. Cab Sauv/Merlot/Dornfelder should be winner. BDX is the yeast you used on it?

Did you adjust the Riesling at all or are going to wait for a pH reading after ferment? Seems like a some of the white juice buckets are coming in high in pH. Cab Sauv/Merlot/Dornfelder should be winner. BDX is the yeast you used on it?
I waited since I didn't have a good Normal solution for testing the TA (I could use a conversion from testing to see if it was good, but I think it was way too far out of wack since it was over a year old). I've adjusted Pinot Grigio buckets before, sometimes it's great, other times I overdo it (probably hadn't stirred up the bottom sediment (with wine crystals) enough). The Cab Sauv bucket wasn't terrible (3.72) so I just let that ride, was in too much of a hurry to do the right thing. And yes BDX yeast, I used that on my Dornfelder in the Fall of 2015 and I really like how it is progressing. Doesn't seem to need the nutrients as much as RC-212 does.

Latest posts

Back