2016 Season is upon us!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a good video, I thought the copper funnel was interesting; they probably don't have any H2S problems.

That's a good video, I thought the copper funnel was interesting; they probably don't have any H2S problems.

Funny that you noticed that too. I was showing the video to Mrs. JohnD last night, she commented how cool the copper funnel was and that I should get a copper one instead of the food grade plastic one I use. She got an unwanted lesson in copper and H2S and lost interest in the video...............I just don't understand why.

I thought you all could enjoy the comedy, quite a cast of characters, just a little something to look forward to as crush and press gets closer. Personally, it's all done alone in the kitchen, but it's meticulously clean and I don't put the skins in my mouth and spit them back into the press basket. I usually drink a bottle of a really good cab as I go.

That video made me realize one thing.. Not a single person attending my crush this year is bald..

I have ordered Muscat Canelli from California and Traminette from Maryland from Harford Vineyard. The Traminette are special order, so I'll have to wait and see if they have enough to make their own wine and fill my order.

I've got 4 pails must of Koch Cab, 4 of Cab Clone 169, 4 of Merlot, 4 of Petit Sirah coming from Lanza-Musto. Probably add some more stuff once the numbers are in. I'll be doing some blending next year for sure, unless I decide to do some blending before fermentation.

I have ordered Muscat Canelli from California and Traminette from Maryland from Harford Vineyard. The Traminette are special order, so I'll have to wait and see if they have enough to make their own wine and fill my order.

Heather, what is the difference between the Muscat Canelli and the other one they offer, is it better quality? Also, did you order a juice bucket or are you ordering the whole grapes? Just interested because my older brother's wife likes a good muscat.

That's it. You just decided what I'm drinking tonight. (goes downstairs to get his last bottle of Harford Traminette...)

@stickman: that's a great red. Thanks for posting.

Last edited:
Heather, what is the difference between the Muscat Canelli and the other one they offer, is it better quality? Also, did you order a juice bucket or are you ordering the whole grapes? Just interested because my older brother's wife likes a good muscat.

I bought a muscat canelli bucket maybe in 2014 and the juice was very nice, sweet and excellent flavor.

I don't know why, but I can't get more than 1 second of that video to play. Thought maybe the kids were hogging bandwidth, but I can play any other YouTube video just fine. Anyone else having the same issue?

Working fine for me now. Nice video.

So, I ordered one juice bucket and one lug of grapes. It's the first time I have done this for a white, but I feel like I'll get enough to top up with because muscat canelli is rare around me in wine stores. I used to buy cases of the Becker Vineyards Muscat Canelli when I lived in San Antonio, because the stuff was THAT GOOD! Theirs is a little effervescent. Hopefully mine will be half as good.

The other one, Traminette, is one they grow on site and make wine from. I buy a bottle or two of theirs when I pick up my orders. It's not better or worse, just different, and they only sell the grapes.

The best batch I have ever made was the Seyval Blanc from Harford's grapes last year, so I am trying to make an all-grape batch every year.

That's it. You just decided what I'm drinking tonight. (goes downstairs to get his last bottle of Harford Traminette...)

@stickman: that's a great red. Thanks for posting.

@Boatboy24, I am out of their Traminette - we drink it too fast around here. Hope mine is at least a little similar.

I am a fan of that varietal, so hopefully this will turn out well. Did you back-sweeten or leave dry?

I'm sure I did, I just checked my notes from Nov. 2014 and have pretty much nothing written once it went down to 1.040 ...:ft

I used Cotes De Blanc yeast and think I saved some of the juice to use for back sweetening because it was so good...:HB

It was Lodi Gold Muscat Canelli. 6G bucket for $61

I'm sure I did, I just checked my notes from Nov. 2014 and have pretty much nothing written once it went down to 1.040 ...:ft

I used Cotes De Blanc yeast and think I saved some of the juice to use for back sweetening because it was so good...:HB

It was Lodi Gold Muscat Canelli. 6G bucket for $61

I am pretty sure the one I got from Texas was back-sweetened, so I'll have to do some bench tests and figure out what to do there.

That is a great price for a bucket!

@4Score and I are doing a ton of Grenache and a ton of Syrah from the same vineyard. They are saying the Grenache is close. Also trying a Chardonnay; 900 lbs with @4Score and @BusaBill

Busy times with NorCal...

Last Saturday: Crushed and Pressed 1/2 ton of Chardonnay
Monday: Crushed 1 ton Grenache
Tuesday: Crushed 1 ton of Syrah
Friday (today): Rack Chardonnay and transfer to final vessels
Saturday: Press Grenache
Sunday: Transfer Grenache to final vessels, Press Syrah
Tuesday: Transfer Syrah

Keep in mind "transfer" also includes moving wine between NorCal's winery and 4score's winery (about 10 miles). We are either pumping onto a truck or using an engine hoist to move filled containers. Should be loads of fun!

Last edited:
It was good to get that out of the way so we can concentrate on two big presses this weekend.

Latest posts

Back