Other 2014 limited wine kits - what are you planning

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was certain I was going to order the Red Mountain Cab/Merlot, but I am hesitating because of the lack of skins. My CC Showcase Walla Walla Cab Merlot is very delicious.

May have to do the SA Cab/Shiraz instead.

Get the Walla Walla Cab Merlot with grape pack from the regular CC line.

There has been plenty of talk about skins vs no skins in the LE/RQ kits so I thought I would add my 2 cents. My first LE was a Mataro/Shiraz w/o skins from WE several years ago. I loved this wine and had to talk a vendor out of his own PERSONAL stash to buy a second kit. It was spectacular.

That made me try the KR Showcase Aussie Shiraz/Mataro (no skins) this year. It is outstanding and I would love to find another kit. I also made a KR Showcase Italian Sangiovese/Cab (with skins). Also outstanding. If I could get my hands on another LE kit, I would grab the Shiraz/Mataro in a heartbeat. The point is, don't eliminate the kits without skins just because they don't have skins. LE kits seem to have better quality ingredients which make up for the lack of skins. I won't hesitate to buy them.

That was quick, It apears that my origional post was correct after all for RJS RQ.
[FONT=&quot]Australian Shiraz/Viognier - December ([/FONT][FONT=&quot]Genuwine dried grape skins)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Italian Nero D'Avola - March ([/FONT][FONT=&quot]no skins)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Spanish Monastrell/Petit Verdot - March ([/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Genuwine dried grape skins[/FONT])[/FONT]
I'm still going to get the Nero, I can steal a pack of raisins from one of the Mosti kits, they come with skins and raisins.

Again, sorry for the confusion, at least Spagnols now knows they have conflicting marketing going on.

Thanks Tony. I'm going to order the Shiraz/Voignier. Did you happen to get any info on the whites? I'm torn between the two but leaning toward the Torrontes.

If anyone has done either of them feel free to chime in. (Semillon Sauvignon Blanc or Torrontes)

Get the Walla Walla Cab Merlot with grape pack from the regular CC line.

Tonyt, may I ask which CC line you are referring to? I would very much like to take your advice, but I cannot find it. I can only find (from vinecowine.com) the following cabs:

CC Classique line:
-Cabernet Merlot Global Cuvée
-Cabernet Sauvignon Chilean Reserve

CC Premium line:
-Cabernet Merlot Global Cuvée (Not a typo; same name in both lines)

CC Showcase line:
-Cabernet Merlot Walla Walla (That terroirdejoir referred to upthread)
-Cabernet Red Mountain
-Cabernet Shiraz Yakima Valley

Did you mean any of these?

Or, did you mean "Regular line" as in "not limited edition," which would indicate you favor the CC Showcase?

Thanks!

I think I'll look for the "South African Shiraz Cabernet - January (with grape skins)." I love the earthy quality of reds from this area. Thanks for the heads up TonyT.

Paul, Fine Vine Wine has a CC Showcase WallaWalla Cab Merlot w/grape pack. $135.89. If you prefer California wines try the Kenridge Showcase (CC) LR Cali Grand Red II. Its $148.49 and has skins also. Not sure of prices at other stores. Or do them both and compare and contrast. Hahaha.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how many liters of juice come with the RJ and WE kits? It looks like the KR kits are 16 but I can't find the other ones.

-Josh

Does anyone know how many liters of juice come with the RJ and WE kits? It looks like the KR kits are 16 but I can't find the other ones.

-Josh

Unless they've changed something from last year, the WE kit with grape skins is approximately ~16 liters of juice/concentrate and ~2 liters for the grape skins. The ones without grape skins will be 18 liters of juice/concentrate.

Thanks Tony. I'm going to order the Shiraz/Voignier. Did you happen to get any info on the whites? I'm torn between the two but leaning toward the Torrontes.

If anyone has done either of them feel free to chime in. (Semillon Sauvignon Blanc or Torrontes)

I did the WE LE Torrontes last year, and it turned out to be a fairly dry, citrusy (lemon/orange predominantly to me) white with noticeable acidity. It was an early drinking wine that was pretty developed by the summer months. I can't imagine the RJS kit would be all that different.

Paul, Fine Vine Wine has a CC Showcase WallaWalla Cab Merlot w/grape pack. $135.89. If you prefer California wines try the Kenridge Showcase (CC) LR Cali Grand Red II. Its $148.49 and has skins also. Not sure of prices at other stores. Or do them both and compare and contrast. Hahaha.

Gosh, Tony, that was kind of you. I didn't mean that I couldn't find the CC Showcase WW Cab/Merlot to purchase. I guess I was asking for clarification on what "CC regular line" you referred to. You have now done that (in addition to doing some internet shopping for me!). Thanks, I appreciate it.:br

Actually, I really like Washington Cabs & Merlots. Lived near Red Mountain and Horse Heaven Hills for a short time, too, which was very convenient!

Thanks again,

Actually, I really like Washington Cabs & Merlots. Lived near Red Mountain and Horse Heaven Hills for a short time, too, which was very convenient!

Thanks again,
You need to search Ibglowin's posts, he's a big Red Mountain fan.

Actually, I have the CC Red Mountain on deck. I am probably going to start it early next week (as I am going out of town for the weekend). Therefore, I am starting to look around at next options, hence my interest in the WW Cab/Merlot ! :)

After doing a bit of digging, it looks like the Pacific Quartet from WE has been offered before and was popular.

Anyone have any comments on this kit? I'm still up in the air on the whites this year and now even more confused.

-Josh

After doing a bit of digging, it looks like the Pacific Quartet from WE has been offered before and was popular.

Anyone have any comments on this kit? I'm still up in the air on the whites this year and now even more confused.

-Josh

I had some at a friends and it was very fruity and definately not a dry white. He said it came with a big F-pack. So if you like dry, this might not be the one

cheers

-Josh

It sounds like a rather fruit-forward, off-dry, easy drinking white to me. Typically, WE's off-dry kits tend to finished ~1.000-1.010 or thereabouts. A quick Google search for forum postings related to it showed pretty positive comments from the last time it was released. For example:

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f84/limited-edition-pacific-quartet-7377/

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f84/pacific-quartet-2010-le-27938/

Obviously it was a popular enough kit that WE has brought it back as a LE.

Actually, I have the CC Red Mountain on deck. I am probably going to start it early next week (as I am going out of town for the weekend). Therefore, I am starting to look around at next options, hence my interest in the WW Cab/Merlot ! :)

Although the RMC is my personal favorite. The one people rave probably more than any other is the CC Showcase Cab/Merlot. I have people that will NOT share that wine with company, they want it all to themselves...... :sm

I tweak the heck out of the kit needless to say.

I decided to add the Tempranillo Garnacha to the list. So now I'm doing one RJS (Monastrell-Petite Verdot), one WE (South African Shiraz-Cab) and one Kenridge (Tempranillo-Garnacha).

That's enough. For now. :D

Although the RMC is my personal favorite. The one people rave probably more than any other is the CC Showcase Cab/Merlot. I have people that will NOT share that wine with company, they want it all to themselves...... :sm

I tweak the heck out of the kit needless to say.

Mike, do you have a thread where you discuss your tweaks? (I searched the forum for "ibglowin tweaks" but didn't come up with anything about YOUR tweaks.) Just curious, is all. In my brief "career," I am just starting to think about tweaks. Only thing I have done so far is change yeast. Thanks.

Looking like adding CC WW Cab/Merlot to my list may be a good idea!

Sorry for the non-limited-edition threadjack....

It sounds like a rather fruit-forward, off-dry, easy drinking white to me. Typically, WE's off-dry kits tend to finished ~1.000-1.010 or thereabouts. A quick Google search for forum postings related to it showed pretty positive comments from the last time it was released. For example:

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f84/limited-edition-pacific-quartet-7377/

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f84/pacific-quartet-2010-le-27938/

Obviously it was a popular enough kit that WE has brought it back as a LE.

Pacific Quartet was extremely good, it was a LE of 2009. Next year WE had Pacifica White. A similar blend, also a very good wine, but to my taste the Quartet was better. I think they had made the Quartet before 2009 and it was so popular that they did it again.

It is off-dry and I think a tad sweeter than many other off-dry whites (for example I like KenRidge German Riesling it is drier).

I am ordering it again and hope it will be as good as it was last time.

It comes with the F-pack, so at first it is fermented to dry (0.993 in my case) then you stabilize the wine and only after add the F-pack. The good thing about it, if you do want it a bit drier than it designed, you can add less juice from the F-pack.

Back