WineXpert 2013 LE South African Voignier

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

francois_du_nord

Fermenting Trough Wiper
Reaction score
Anyone here made this kit? The LHBS has a couple left, and I was thinking that this might be a nice complex white to lay down for drinking a couple of years out.

Thoughts?

Best, Fran

I have this kit in secondary now so can't help with how good it is but the combination of varietals sounds interesting.

Thanks Eric,

I decided that I'd have to give it a go, so I picked up a kit last week. I doubt I'll get it into the fermenter for a couple of months tho, I figured that I'd wait until fall so the fermentation temps were a bit lower. I've got 3 reds that I need to get done while it's hot, and I might buy a couple more.

I appreciate the follow up.

Best, Fran

I made this kit and bottled on 4/30 but haven't sampled since bottling. I expect good things from it, though I have a feeling it will be a longer aging, complex white and a good food wine. I'll sample my first bottle in the fall.

Some previous talk on this kit is located here.

I made the Cellar Craft LR version of this kit about 3 years ago. It was beyond complex and utterly fantastic. I still have 3 bottles left and they are still improving I think. This is a wine to pair with food. You won't be disappointed!

BAT: Thanks for the pointer to the other thread. Some good discussion there.

Mike, great to hear. I think I'll be waiting until it is a bit cooler before kicking this off I've got some reds to run. I may try your yeast substitution.

I made this kit a few months ago and tried a couple bottles. Tastes fine, a little sweeter than the other whites I normally make.

Mine is quite dry. It finished at 0.993, 13.4% abv, firm acidity. I bulk aged mine briefly and tested at bottling time. The floral/aromatic quality was just starting to reveal itself, but I imagine this quality will continue to develop as the Viognier comes to the forefront.

JVA and BAT: Thanks for the tasting notes. I'm looking forward to the nose on this one. I won't be fermenting it until a bit later in the fall, my basement is holding steady in the low 70's, and I'd like it to be a bit cooler.

BAT, how long did you bulk age? I was thinking 6 months or so. I too have the WE LE Pinot waiting in the wings. I might kick that one off in a week or so.

Most of my wines to date have gone from pitching to bottled in about 3 months total, so very little "bulk" time (a month or 6 weeks). I hope to change that once I get back on the wagon this fall.

Latest posts

Back