2013 Chilean Juices

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffemt128

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are in the cellar. I picked up the following;

Cabernet Sauvignon ph 2.89 sg 1.060
Pinot Noir ph 3.45 sg 1.092
Syrah ph 3.30 sd 1.084
Carmenere ph 3.24 sg 1.086
Malbec ph 3.44 sg 1.096

Muscat ph 3.41 sg 1.082 ta .300
Sauvignon Blanc ph 3.52 sg 1.084 ta .345

After bringing into the cellar I calibrated the ph meter and took some readings. The Cab Sauv has started fermentation. I double checked the TA readings.. They will definitely need adjusted upward.

Doug, I would have to say that the SGs are on the low side except for the Malbec and the Pinot Noir. Not to worry. I have had a similar experience with juice that I picked up at L'Uva Bella and it all worked out (although the Brunello was a bear and a half!)

Doug, I ended up adding one pound of sugar to each pail for a bit more abv and stabilization in the finished product. I also added 33 grams of tataric acid to each pail.

I'd double check the pH reading for the Cab/Sav. That's really, really low, which means the TA would be very, very high. Such a wine may not be a good candidate for MLF.

It's best to make as many adjustments as possible BEFORE you start fermenting.

I did double check the reading on the Cab as it seemed very low. The low sg leaves me to believe that fermentation has been under way with that one for some time. I'll check again tomorrow.

I did double check the reading on the Cab as it seemed very low. The low sg leaves me to believe that fermentation has been under way with that one for some time. I'll check again tomorrow.

I agree. 1.060 is very low for any cab/sav.

robie said:
I agree. 1.060 is very low for any cab/sav.

Just racked my Chilean must. Only 5 days after pitching yeast. Sg @ 1.010 and still berry active

If it's fermenting already and you didn't degas then your pH readings aren't accurate and should be disregarded.

I'd double check the pH reading for the Cab/Sav. That's really, really low, which means the TA would be very, very high. Such a wine may not be a good candidate for MLF.
fermenting.

Why wouldn't you put a red wine through mlf? MLF would only help to raise the pH and lower the TA, both of which are desirable outcomes. While at that pH MLF would be a struggle, even if the bacteria failed at first there are steps you can take to deacidify (blending, cold stabilizing, or chemically dropping acid) that would make it a more suitable environment for them. Kits withstanding, I've never heard of a red wine that wasn't a good candidate for mlf.

Dissolved c02 in your wine will take the form of carbonic acid and throw off the reading. Same is true for carbonated vs still water.

Just picked up my Chilean juice tonight. Here is what I got....

Malbec SG=1.082 Ph=3.70 TA= 3.5 Used BM45 Yeast Re-Hydrated
Merlot SG=1.088 Ph=3.70 TA=4.0 Used GRE Yeast Re-Hydrated

Acid is low but not surprised..... I will raise it up after malolactic .......

Just picked up my Chilean juice tonight. Here is what I got....

Malbec SG=1.082 Ph=3.70 TA= 3.5 Used BM45 Yeast Re-Hydrated
Merlot SG=1.088 Ph=3.70 TA=4.0 Used GRE Yeast Re-Hydrated

Acid is low but not surprised..... I will raise it up after malolactic .......

Where did you buy?

I checked SG's yesterday. All the reds were at or below 1.000 so I started transferring into carboys. I managed to get 2 done last night and I'll get the other 3 this evening.

The whites were sitting around 1.016. I'll transfer those on Thursday or Friday.

SG's are running around 1.030 on both of mine after 5 days... Added a dose of nutrients to both for a quick recharge.....

All juice has been transferred to carboys. Now the wait. I'll rack in about 3-4 weeks. At that point the majority of any sediment should have fallen out. After that racking, I need to decide on oak for each of the reds.

I have transferred my wine to the carboy, and I added the wooden cubes. How long does it have to stay in there? I am making Chilean Sharh,

Latest posts

Back