2012 International Cold Climate Wine Competition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grapeman

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I posted this in my Champlain Valley Vineyard thread, but I don't think only Wade read it so I am copying it here as I was excited by this.

The results of the 2012 International Cold Climate Wine Competition are in after the August 16 judging in Minnesota. Two of my wines I enter won medals this year, the first I have entered in this competition. My Petite Amie won a Silver medal in the Dry White Single Varietal and Blends category - mine was 100% Petite Amie. The grape was bred by David McGregor and is a very floral Muscat type white grape. This one was totally dry. I also make one I call Sweet Little Friend mad of the Petite Amie grape. Not much of this grape is grown yet and this is last years harvest from my training systems trial of three year old vines. Not bad for three year old vines.

The other medal was a bronze medal won for the St. Pepin wine made from the three year old St Pepin grapes in the training systems trial also. Everybody still think young vines can't be used to make a nice wine? The grapes are already exhibiting tremendous flavors this year even though the brix is still way shy of harvest.

I entered these wines in the competition this year not expecting a lot, knowing they were from these very young vines. I was thrilled that they did fairly well for their age. What will these vines be capable of in the future? All from vines that are re-defining yield expectations for cold climate grapes.

Nice job! Sounds like you will have some excellent results down the road as well.

Congrats, we're fortunate to have you as a mentor.

Latest posts

Back