2011 Elderberry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice score.

Yes it was I did make a mistake in my earlier post what I thought was a ten gallon tub is actually a nineteen gallon tub and it was all but full to the brime I am still working on destemming the berries

:u Just checked the sg, both batches are down to 1.004 from 1.082. Progressing along nicely. At this rate I will be transferring into carboy over the weekend, probably on sunday. Early sample of both were very good with little difference in flavor. It has only been 6 days since start. Curious the taste difference given the different acids.

:u Transferred the Elderberry to better bottles last night. Time to start clearing and the aging process. Both batches were fermented dry in the primary.

We will be picking the wild ones on Sunday... can't wait to see the crop this year!

Debbie

Wild elderberries a spotty in So. Mn. although I have picked about 60 pounds.

Takes a lot of time and looking and walking. I lot of the stems had very few berries so I had to bang them against the side of the pail to dislodge the berries.

I did give my 85 year old aunt about 10 pounds. She uses them to make jelly for her church bazare.

Keeps the old gal busy. :D

Last edited:
Stumbled onto a bunch of elderberries near Minneapolis on Sunday and got two six gallon pails filled and left a bunch. Also picked another pail on Saturday in approx. same place.

Started to ferment 15 gallons on 09-04. SG down to 1.020 today from 1.090.

If someone near Mankato, MN is interested in grapes I have a bunch of Marquette grapes about ready to pick. Brix at 23 now. 25 vines so there are more than I need.

A half buck a gallon. You pick. Buck and half if I pick them. Bring your own bucket.

Last edited:
I used 4 pounds per gallon but I think Julie has said she uses 5 pounds per gallon

People, dont forget to ask Julie for her Elderberry Blush recipe if she doesnt have it posted in our recipe area, its a very nice second wine made from utilizing whats left of the fruit after primary and IMO its 1 of only a few fruits you can do thus with and still get enough flavor from it.

I used 4 pounds per gallon but I think Julie has said she uses 5 pounds per gallon

Yes, I use roughly between 4 1/2 to 5 pounds, I use to do less until I had Wade's Elderberry and he used 5 pounds.

People, dont forget to ask Julie for her Elderberry Blush recipe if she doesnt have it posted in our recipe area, its a very nice second wine made from utilizing whats left of the fruit after primary and IMO its 1 of only a few fruits you can do thus with and still get enough flavor from it.

It is in the recipe section but I can re-post it here when I get home.

Ok, here it is and like I have said before I did not create the recipe it was shared on another site but I find if very good. There is a lot of work with elderberry and it sure makes you feel better when you can get double your wine out of it.

Elderberry Wine

This recipe makes five gallons of elderberry wine and another five gallons of elderberry blush. In the beginning, when pressing the berries, do a thorough job because they don’t break open as easy as you might think.

Ingredients:

15 Pounds Fresh Elderberries
2 Gallons Water
6 11.5 Oz. Cans Welch’s Frozen White Grape Juice
7-8 Pounds Sugar, approximately (enough to bring S. G. to 1.090-1.095)
2-3 Tbls. Acid Blend approximately (enough to bring acid level to 0.65)
2 Tbls. Yeast Nutrient
2 tsp Pectic Enzyme
5 Campden Tablets, Crushed
1 Packet Lalvin RC 212 Yeast

Instructions:

Place the frozen elderberries in a nylon bag, tie the top of the bag and place in a nonreactive container that will hold at least four gallons. When the elderberries are thawed, press thoroughly, and cover with two gallons of boiling water. After the mixture cools, add pectic enzyme, cover and let it sit for 12 hours. Remove the nylon bag and allow it to drip until it stops. DO NOT SQUEEZE or you will get a green substance that will have a bitter taste to it. When this is complete, transfer the contents of the container to a primary and return the nylon bag to the container and cover. This will make the 5 gallons of blush, so when finished with the wine recipe, you will cover the nylon bag with two more gallons of boiling water and repeat the entire process. Thaw the six cans of white grape juice, add it to the primary, and bring the water level up to the five gallon mark. Take a reading with your hydrometer and add enough sugar to bring the specific gravity to approximately 1.090-1.095. Stir until all sugar is well dissolved. If you have a TA kit, check the titratable acidity and correct it to 0.65. Add the yeast nutrient, and the crushed campden tablets. Wait 24 hours and add the yeast. Cover the primary with a cloth and check the S.G. daily. When the must reaches 1.010 in approximately one week, rack to a secondary and put under an air lock. Rack again in two weeks and then every two months until clear.

Stabilize, add 5 campden tablets, wait ten days and bottle. I like to add ½ to 1 cup of light corn syrup mixed with 1-2 cups of hot water at bottling to give it a smooth taste.

Repeat the process to make another five gallons of elderberry blush.

Here is MY recipe for Elderberry Seconds:

2 gal water
4lb 8oz honey- I have no SG listed on either batch
juice of 2 lemons
Pantyhose full of leftover elderberries From a 5 gal original batch-

No need for yeast or campden to start with. That was taken care of with the first batch.

Ferment and rack as usual. Sweeten with honey after stabilization.

I often add a bit of citric acid before bottling to balance it.

This is a great wine on its own!

Debbie

What do you guys think of this idea? I was planning on making a batch of elderberry wine. With the seconds I was going to buy a can of Vitners Harvest blackberry base and Make that into the five gallons. I know that will be weak in flavor but I was then going to put the elderberries into that to give it some more flavor. Do you think this will work?

Here is MY recipe for Elderberry Seconds:

2 gal water
4lb 8oz honey- I have no SG listed on either batch
juice of 2 lemons
Pantyhose full of leftover elderberries From a 5 gal original batch-

No need for yeast or campden to start with. That was taken care of with the first batch.

Ferment and rack as usual. Sweeten with honey after stabilization.

I often add a bit of citric acid before bottling to balance it.

This is a great wine on its own!

Debbie

Why would you not add yeast? Are you saying you wait until you rack your first elderberry, then use the slurry? If you are doing that what slurry are you using for your skeeter pee?

When you take the bag of berries off at about 4 days... you turn it into the honey/water. There are plenty of yeasties in that bag of berries. I EITHER make seconds OR Pee...not both.

Debbie

I just made my first step with elderberry. I was reading that some people love the wine, some people hate it and some people make it to mix it with other wine to get darker color. I am going to make a sample of 3-4L and then I will see what to think about elderberry wine.

My recipe says to mix 1l of water with 1l of juice. The sugar is included in the water. So proportion is 1:1. My proportion is 1:2 since it is just a test wine. I took my berries and mix them with the water and I boiled them for 15 min. then I add yeast and left it for 2 days. After that I squeezed the fruit and mixed them with another part of water and left it over night. The fermenting juice went to the bottle and I added some sugar. On the next day I squeezed the fruit again and added the juice to the main bottle. The fermentation so far is going on very well so I am looking forward for results! I am planning to make strong wine 16-17% so it will take me a while…. I have to say that this is very cheap wine and picking berries is not very hard.

Do you guys recommend elderberry wine as a good wine?

We love it. It definitely needs sugar to bring out the goodness. It is very labor intensive here. The berries take hours for us to process. They grow on the edge of wetlands... so getting to them is a chore as well. Blends well with raspberry, cherry and blackberry.
It is a very healthy berry and if you make some syrup... you can make a good flu/cold preparation with elderberry, syrup, honey and hot water.

Debbie

Last edited:
When you take the bag of berries off at about 4 days... you turn it into the honey/water. There are plenty of yeasties in that bag of berries. I EITHER make seconds OR Pee...not both.

Debbie

Thanks but I guess I'll stick with my full and blush and skeeter pee all from the same batch. I love the fact that I can get three separate batches of wine from on bag of elderberries.

Back