2011 Corrado's Competition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok folks, It is getting to be that time of year again. For all of youse in the tri-state metropolitan area, the Corrado's Amateur Winemaking competition is set for Friday January 28th, 2011 at 6pm.

You can download an entry form on the following site..

http://www.corradosmarket.com/home/winecontest.html

We went last year....

1) Entries (this year) are $12.00. Pretty reasonable by competition standards.

2) If you want to attend the event itself, it is $95 per seat (or $85 if you purchase ten or more). Although the price is up there, you will definately feel you have gotten your money's worth

2) A total of 1500 people attended last year. It was a real gas to get together with so many winemakers!

3) The food was incredable! Huge buffets cramed with all of the old Italian favorites!

4) They had wineries and vendors giving out free samples of wine, vodka, cheeses and meats. They even had a guy making hand rolled cigars on site!

I plan on going again this year, and I am bringing 20 others with me.

Hello John,
I am bringing my entries down to them tomorrow. I started doing some distilling this year so I finally get to enter in that category! I have my entries and my wife has hers, and this year my wife and daughter made some together also.
I will be there also with about 30 or so other people. Every year there are more and more people that want to go. I have my table and 2 others that sat with us now have their own tables. I agree that it is well worth the money, I look forward to this night all year.
Good luck with your entries John this year. It would be cool to win Winemaker of the Year twice in a row!! My daughter wants to wine the Best White of the Show that my wife won last year! I'll just be happy to get a medal!!
Dave

Hello John,
I am bringing my entries down to them tomorrow. I started doing some distilling this year so I finally get to enter in that category! I have my entries and my wife has hers, and this year my wife and daughter made some together also.
I will be there also with about 30 or so other people. Every year there are more and more people that want to go. I have my table and 2 others that sat with us now have their own tables. I agree that it is well worth the money, I look forward to this night all year.
Good luck with your entries John this year. It would be cool to win Winemaker of the Year twice in a row!! My daughter wants to wine the Best White of the Show that my wife won last year! I'll just be happy to get a medal!!
Dave

Seems that you won a whole bunch last year. I remember that your last name took up a good portion of the results sheet. Good luck to ya this year.

I believe that once you have made "winemaker of the year" you are considered out of the running. I believe that they do not give the award twice to the same person.

Am I missreading the 2010 results? Looks like it wines from grapes only?
No fruit / kits / ?

Am I missreading the 2010 results? Looks like it wines from grapes only?
No fruit / kits / ?

Looking at the entry form that was on their site, seems there is a category for Fruit wines. Under category 5

CATEGORY 5 - FRUIT

Gold
Satch
Steven
RASPBERRY/APPLE
50/50

Silver
Satch
Steven
APPLE/BLUEBERRY
50/50

Silver
Main
Alan
APPLE

Bronze
Becker
David
BANANA/PINEAPPLE (VIOGNIER)

Bronze
Becker
David
SEVILLE ORANGE (SANGRIA)

Bronze
Bulger
Michael
BLUEBERRY/APPLE
50/50

Did not ck that. I was just looking on far right where it said grape. What I question is some look like kits (blended) How do they know the % of ea grape?

Most of my wines are made from kits and yes they compete alongside fresh grapes. When I enter a blended wine I just ask the kit company about the percentages and they are pretty helpful. Once they told me if they told me the percentages of grapes for a certain kit they would have to kill me, it was a company secret!!

John, it wouldn't seem fair to exclude you, the judges aren't supposed to know who makes any of the wines. I saw earlier that you said you only enter wines every three years, why is that?

Dave

I noticed in the pictures from last year a lot of the bottles had labels but rules say no labels or capsules. Also do you just tape the small coupon size info sheet to each of your bottles or the entire entry form?

They do have a label contest also so maybe thats what you are seeing.

John, it wouldn't seem fair to exclude you, the judges aren't supposed to know who makes any of the wines. I saw earlier that you said you only enter wines every three years, why is that?
Dave

I have not problem with it. It would really suck if one person kept winning year after year.

I make a large amount of wine each year, but only a handful of different varieties. Each year, I rotate the variety I make. I need to wait 3 years to collect enough entries to make the competition worth while. This year, I will only be entering a handful (say 5 of 6).

Wolf,

I did win the trip.

I think that they have an "Other" catagory. If you do welches, I think that this is your catagory (I do not see any category for "undrinkable")

--- Just a joke. Please do not get upset -----

Deadline is tomorrow

OK folks,

The deadline for entry to the Corrado's 2011 competition is tomorrow (1/15). Hope you all got your entries in and also hope to see you on 1/28.

Also, as I am doing for Runningwolfe, If anybody has sent in entries, and are NOT going to attend, I would be willing to report the results as they happen. Just PM me your phone number and name.

johnT.

OK folks,

The deadline for entry to the Corrado's 2011 competition is tomorrow (1/15). Hope you all got your entries in and also hope to see you on 1/28.

Also, as I am doing for Runningwolfe, If anybody has sent in entries, and are NOT going to attend, I would be willing to report the results as they happen. Just PM me your phone number and name.

johnT.

My entries are in anybody going to the awards Dinner I will be there for the first time. Maybe we can hook up at the event and have a glass of wine together good luck everybody.
Carmine

I'll be there also, I can't wait. It is such a fun evening. Make sure you come hungry and thirsty!!

Best of luck to all that have entered.

Dave

I'll be there also, I can't wait. It is such a fun evening. Make sure you come hungry and thirsty!!

Best of luck to all that have entered.

Dave

I have never been to Corrados can I bring my own wine that I entered into competition to drink is that aloud at the venetion???????????
Carmine

Latest posts

Back