2011 Chilean Carmenere

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joea132

Reaction score
I thought I'd document my process here so that other beginners like myself might have an idea what their first batch from grapes would be like! Also so I don't lose my notes.

The Plan:

To make a fruit forward dry red wine from Chilean Carmenere grapes. I plan on using a slightly extended maceration and making sure my fermenting temperature hits at least 85F-90F. I will seperate free run and second run juice if possible as an experiment. I plan on sulfiting after crush, adding D254 and adding yeast nutrient when I add yeast and at 18 and 12 brix through the process. I will most likely oak later after it has gone through MLF.

5/21 - The Crush

I picked up 15-18lb lugs of Chilean Carmenere grapes from my local supplier today. I brought them home and set them outside while I cleaned the crusher/destemmer and plastic primary fermenter tub I bought. After careful cleaning of both including spraying with sulfite/citric acid solution and scrubbing, I was ready to crush.

I saw that my grapes weren't in perfect condition and many had been broken open and a couple had white mold on them. I decided that I would add 3 grams of K-Meta per 50 pounds as referenced in "The Way to Make Wine" by Sheridan Warrick. I had 270lbs of grapes total so 270lbs/50lbs=5.4. 5.4x3grams=16.2 grams K-Meta added to achieve this goal. I checked my calculations again and measured out the amount on my grams scale.

I put my crusher/destemmer on my primary bucket and fired that bad boy up. I started trying to sort the grapes and make sure no bad ones went in but it proved to be tedious and I just dumped them in and picked out the few that were really bad (not many.) After about 10 minutes of trying to keep up with the crusher, I stopped to catch up and check everything out. The stems had bound up in the destemming auger and I had to remove them for the machine to keep running.

I PLACED THE MACHINE IN ZERO MECHANICAL STATE by unplugging it and pushing in the emergency button. Don't get your fingers near the moving parts, it was bad enough I was skimming the less than perfect grapes out of the hopper while it was running. A coworker (firefighter) just had half his hand chopped off in a lawnmower a month ago so I was extra careful. Seriously, it's not worth it, don't F around.

I crushed the last few lugs and looked at the mess I had in my garage. I had forgotten to add the K-Meta in all the excitement so I did it then. I poured it over the top and took a deep breath and held it while I mixed it with my arms. I picked up a few unbroken grapes that had fallen and tasted them. They were really sweet and delicious. I squished the last couple in my hand and put them in the fermenter instead of eating them, I'd rather get an alcohol buzz than a sugar buzz...

I then took the crusher and destemmer and started the long and arduous process of cleaning it. I found that I could take off the plastic shroud and the metal part where the grapes fall through but the stems do not. It took one bolt and a washer to get it off. After that I picked up the mess and got testing.

Test results:
Temperature: 54F
pH: 3.60
TA: 0.56
Brix: 24
Sulfites: 90ppm

I am extremely pleased with the condition of the grapes and the numbers I got from testing. I feel like the money I've invested in equipment and effort has maybe paid off. Not to mention the help I've gotten from the great people on this site. I'll be uploading the only pictures I could take with my phone shortly.

UPDATE: Here are the pics!
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

This is what the aftermath looks like when one person is doing everything!
picture.php

picture.php

5/22 - Added 10g of Fermax and 4 packets of D254 yeast. Yeast was activated and poured over the top @20:15 and let sit.

5/23 - Signs of fermentation, temperature 60F. Yeast mixed into must @ 15:40. 23 Brix

5/24 - 62F, 21.5 Brix

5/25 - 68F, 17 Brix

5/26 - 74F, 11 Brix. Added 10 grams of Fermax.

5/27 - 75F

5/28 - 73F, 0Brix. Tastes fruity with a velvety mouthfeel.

5/31 - 65F, blanketed with argon gas and secured the top with shrink wrap to seal it off for extended maceration.

6/6 - Tannins seem to be getting stronger

6/9 - Tannins still stronger, maybe less fruit (or is it in my head?)

6/14 - Very strong tannins, blanketed down more argon for protection.

6/17 - Strong tannins

6/19 - Tannins mellowing out? Hard to tell with the alcohol heat. I will try it again in 2 days to see.

6/27 - Press Day. I dragged out the press and sprayed it with a sulfite solution and let it sit. I washed everything off with the hose and assembled the whole thing together including the press liner I made out of pet-resistant screen door replacement screen. I placed the whole press on my wooden stand that I engineered to be perfect for the height of a 5 gallon carboy plus a funnel. I placed some sanitized screen in the funnel to help catch anything that got through. I started scooping up wine and skins in a glass mixing bwl with a handle and pouring it into the press. The liner kept falling in but once a decent amount of skins were in there, it held the line in the right place. After the 5 gallon carboy was full, I pumped it into a waiting demi-john with my Superjet pump. The free run juice filled the demi-john and I estimated I would need one more 5 gallon carboy and a 3 gallon carboy.

The remainder of the free run juice and a very light pressing filled the 5 gallon carboy to the top. I then placed a sanitized 3 gallon carboy underneath the spout and started cranking down on the press. I backed off on the press and broke apart the pomace with a spoon and my hands and repressed it. I was sure to taste it after every few tunrs to see the tannins build. When I reached the point where I felt the tannins were starting to get harsh, I backed off on the press and pulled out the carboy. I filled airlocks with sanitizer solution and used the appropriate bung to close them off.

The cleaning was the worst part. Everything was painstakingly hosed off with copious amounts of water and allowed to sun dry. The remaining pomace (pressed grape skins) went into my garden. The inside of the primary fermentor was scrubbed and allowed to dry. Everything was eventually put away and I blew Argon on the 3 gallon carboy that wasn't quite full. I plan on seperating this into 2 - 1 gallon jugs later on but I am freakin' beat! Plus I've got a nice buzz from tasting the wine and enjoying some delicious Anchor Steam Beers. It's cigar time now!

I forgot to mention, the SO2 levels were 40-50 and the pH was 3.53.

Last edited:
U know the drill..

NO PICTURES

IT DIDN'T HAPPEN :f

Today I got a lug of Carmenere grapes and plan on adding it to the Carmenere juice I just got

U know the drill..

NO PICTURES

IT DIDN'T HAPPEN :f

What a pain, I had to email the pictures to myself from my phone then upload them into a gallery then find the source and post them in the forum site! Putting the pictures in is harder than making the damn wine!

You dont have to upload them into the gallery. I dont use that method. Just use the "Manage attachments" button under "Go Advanced" and find them in your computer and upload them.

I gotta agree very nice crusher destemmer. And nice job documenting your efforts.

I usually pull my crusher destemmer operation out into the driveway so I can blast every with a water hose after the work with the grapes is over with. I don't have floor drains in my detached garage.And man can I ever make a mess of things come crush time!

Looking good Joe! If we do get something worked out for m&m grapes this fall i think it would be worth the extra 40 minutes from hartford for a bit of hands on experience if you need the help!

I thinks its funny that we are both trying for similar results with this chilean harvest. Carmenere was actually my first choice, but i forget if they had run out at the time or if the wine guy we talked to talked us into the merlot instead.. Either way we chose to do the merlot grapes (pre crushed and destemed), d254, opti-red, mlf culture, and a sample pack of tannin that they threw if incase we need to bump that up. We chose to buy the medium toast french oak chips as well and will most likely use a bit less then the package says (about 1/4 cup per 5 gallons instead of 1/3).

We put the yeast in on sunday. I punched down the cap 3-4x/day and cheked the sg every other day. We were down pretty low friday night but my wine partner blew me off so the grapes sat (with ice bottles in it) till saturday morning to be hand pressed. It was a messy process and i am glad that Ive had the time to come up with a press design, unfortunatly i just havent had the time to put it together yet (the materials are sitting in the garage). My hands were stained purple all day yesterday and the edges of my nails and finger tips are still purple today. The wine smelt delicious! I let the fiance taste the wine as i had tasted it earlier in the week. She said it was very good and fruity, ill take her word for it.. I'm a fan for the suspense, the longer i wait the beter it will be.

We should arrange a bottle swap (or two) if we can figure out a day that we will both be at m&m. I am definatly interested to see how the carmenere comes out in comparison with the merlot with the same yeast.

Sounds good to me! Carmenere was one of the original Bordeaux grapes that they thought went extinct in the 1800's and was rediscovered in south America years later. They thought they were Merlot grapes for years. Point being carmenere and Merlot of very similar. It should be very interesting to see the differences. How much did you end up getting?

We only got 1 bucket (3-lug) and it was about 6-6.25 gallons of must. We hand presseed so we lost a bit because of that and ended up with a about 4.75 gallons worth of wine. We will probably loose another .25-.5 gallons between racking and tasting for the oak, but we both agree that for our first batch of fresh must its worth the investment for the experience and learning that comes with it. Getting "x" bottles a peice is not a huge concern for us on this batch.

Crusher Envy

After reading your posting and viewing your photos, I have a whopping case of Carmenere grape and crusher-destemmer envy!

You did a great job of documenting your progress and I look forward to your future documentation. I hope to make wine from local grapes later this season. Your experience is very helpful.

Happy fermenting,
Paul

We only got 1 bucket (3-lug) and it was about 6-6.25 gallons of must. We hand presseed so we lost a bit because of that and ended up with a about 4.75 gallons worth of wine. We will probably loose another .25-.5 gallons between racking and tasting for the oak, but we both agree that for our first batch of fresh must its worth the investment for the experience and learning that comes with it. Getting "x" bottles a peice is not a huge concern for us on this batch.

I picked up a bucket of frozen must over the winter to go for a test run myself. One of the more important thigns I learned was that if you're chemistry is off, fix it BEFORE fermenting. I had low acid and didn't address the issue until after MLF. Now I wish I had added a touch of Tartaric acid before I fermented.

I picked up a bucket of frozen must over the winter to go for a test run myself. One of the more important thigns I learned was that if you're chemistry is off, fix it BEFORE fermenting. I had low acid and didn't address the issue until after MLF. Now I wish I had added a touch of Tartaric acid before I fermented.
When i find myself in hartford again i am going to bring a sample of wine with me to beer wine hobby and buy a titration kit they have. One of the guys that works there, Rich, said he wouldnt mind showing me how to do it once for the cost of the materials. I know there are guides out there, but there is nothing like doing something with a pro the first time. Unfortuantly this time around it is going to just be what it is, with minor adjustments at the end if needed.

OK ?
How long do you keep a lug of Carmenere grapes in a bucket of Carmenere Juice befor removing?

I have a idea butt, would like to get your feedback.

OK ?
How long do you keep a lug of Carmenere grapes in a bucket of Carmenere Juice befor removing?

I have a idea butt, would like to get your feedback.

You crushed them and added them to unfermented juice? Or you threw them in whole?

destemed and hand crushed (in straing bag). added pectic, nutrient and yeast so far. When would you remove grapes

I really don't know if it's the "right" answer per se but I would venture to say that you would treat it just like you were making wine from grapes and remove after it ferments down to 1ish. At that point I would taste it to see if it has enough tannin and color and go from there. You can't really hurt it from leaving it on an extra day or two though.

So I found myself at m&m yesterday buying 2 more lugs of grapes. 1 lug of carmenere and 1 lug of malbec. The carmenere grapes were delicious all on their own. The malbec were decent but not as sweet and had a good amount of mold near the bottom of lug. I'll be using rc212 on both and then I also bought a acid test(one that also tests so2 levels). The results on my merlot were 30ppm of so2 (without adding any before or during) and 6.0 acid, which is on the low side but the taste is amazing. It took me and the girlie 2-3 hrs to hand destem and crush 36lbs of grapes. How long did it take for your entire process?

I plan on doing some chillean this year (carmenere being my first choice). I made chillean for the first time last year and here are my findings...

1) The grapes did have mold. I gathered a crew of 8 guys to pick through each grape and each cluster.

2) I did not realize it, but my carmenere was littered with second growth clusters. This resulted in an overly "pepper / grapefruit" taste. SOme like it, but I do not. This year we will be weeding out the second growth clusters to (hopefully) achieve a smoother taste.

3) I used RC212 (lalvin). Had GREAT results with it.

4) Put the wine (2010) into this year's Corrado's competition (in january of 2011). at 6 months, the wine was awarded a silver medal. GOT TO DO THIS AGAIN THIS YEAR.

Latest posts

Back