2010 wine garden

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragonmaster42

Reaction score
It's the middle of winter and the garden catalogs are pouring in. Anyone have any plans for additions to their wine garden?

I'm thinking Dry Creek Overlook is going to be getting some elderberries. A couple American Elder varieties and possibly a European Elder or two. The European elder (Goldberre) with gold colored berries looks particularly interesting. I'm probably also going to have to replace some of the cherry trees and possibly currents that I put in last year due to deer damage depending if they come back or not.

Tony

I have gone to just concentrating on the grapes. I just don't have enough time for a lot of fruit also along with them. I am mainly going to play catchup this year with the vines- getting the ones not yet on it- on some trellising and beginning to train them. I also have to get the winery finished up so that I can get the winery license in place before summer/fall. Because of that I will probably just grow up the little vines another year that are in the nursery and plant them next year. I still have a few hundred new ones coming anyways, that will be enough to deal with.

DM, what you got going is a Wineyard not a garden (I tried to get that in Wiki but they are snobs). We got lots of elders, blackberries, black raspberries and even some currants going, we even put in some mulberry trees to prune them so we can pick them easier. For some reason my Goldberre is much weaker than any of the others, not sure why I planted them other than to see what an elderberry would taste like without all the red stuff in it, but that red stuff is what makes them taste good anyway so the Goldberres are going to be allowed to dissapear when the others invade its space.

Crackedcork

i am just testing to see if my software is working. Anyone just please give me a quick reply.
Thanks
smiley1.gif

Appleman, it's lookin like yur going to have to change yur name to Grapeman....lol

Pete

dragonmaster42 said:
It's the middle of winter and the garden catalogs are pouring in. Anyone have any plans for additions to their wine garden?

I'm thinking Dry Creek Overlook is going to be getting some elderberries. A couple American Elder varieties and possibly a European Elder or two. The European elder (Goldberre) with gold colored berries looks particularly interesting. I'm probably also going to have to replace some of the cherry trees and possibly currents that I put in last year due to deer damage depending if they come back or not.

Tony

Deer Got yours too huh !!!

Speaking of deer.... add 1lb ground deer to your favorite pasta sauce. mm mmm ...
Deer problem mitigated.

I added 6 Muscadine vines from Isons to my vineyard last fall. Also planted 19 Elderberrys. Wines Going now-Kumquat, Muscadine, Blackberry and Peach. This years plan-Blackberry, Pear, Mayhaw, Grape, Muscadine and anything else I can squeeze inbetween. Wow I had better get busy.

Well the elder plants arrived last night and were planted today. 2 Nova, 2 York, 2 Goldeberre, and 1 Alesso.

Deer won't kill the currants. I put some in 6 years ago and they ate them right to the ground every year until I put a fence around them two years ago. They'll come up just fine.

Word of advice though. Don't wait 4 years to put a fence up. Do it this year.

Cracked Cork, I believe you to be the authority of Elderberries here, Which plant will produce the most and the best tasting. I am a little limited for space here so I need the biggest bang for my buck here. Thanks in advance for any insight and Im in Ct. if that helps as far as zones.

Not an expert, just have a bunch of plants, I was going to keep records of yields but that turned out to be too much work keeping all the pickings separated when we had only a little time to pick after work. I like the Nova and Johns we have for their big berries, I also like the Wyldewoods bush variety (why they named them 1 and 2 is going to keep things mixed up), but really all of them have performed well. Its also important to get them from a good supplier, the ones I got from Gurneys grew poorly compared to the same varieties from other suppliers, there is a bunch of them listed on my webpage and the plants from them all did well. Crackedcork

Latest posts

Back