Finer Wine Kit 1st time FWK Pinot Noir Forte- warm!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milw

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I started my first kit (6 gal) this past Sunday, and fermentation is very vigorous- in fact I’m a bit worried sbout how warm it is getting. Its fizzing away, and current temp on the outside of the fermenter is 74F (house is 65-68). The yeast supplied is RC-212 (stated ferm temps 64-86F) and the instructions say to try to maintain 70F.

How warm is too warm, and if cooling is needed, what works best? (I dont have a chiller to hand). Damp blanket/towel? Fan?

Thanks!! -Scott

Hi all, I started my first kit (6 gal) this past Sunday, and fermentation is very vigorous- in fact I’m a bit worried sbout how warm it is getting. Its fizzing away, and current temp on the outside of the fermenter is 74F (house is 65-68). The yeast supplied is RC-212 (stated ferm temps 64-86F) and the instructions say to try to maintain 70F.

How warm is too warm, and if cooling is needed, what works best? (I dont have a chiller to hand). Damp blanket/towel? Fan?

Thanks!! -Scott
Fermentation is an exothermic reaction (i.e. it gives off heat) and there is no need to worry. RC212 is fine at that temperature. As the fermentation slows, the temp will drop.

Sounds great! It will be fine up to mid-80s F as you state. In fact when we're fermenting whole grapes we often try to get the temperature up in order to get better extraction from the skins, though I'm guessing that won't be such an issue with the kit.

Yes, yeast produces heat during the fermentation process. Not to worry. Also, red wines are generally fermented at higher temperatures than whites

Latest posts

Back