1st rack to carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats what I was kinda thinking that it will dilute abit after back sweetened.

Well did a Fpac tonight, total was about 1 cup of Ocean spray 100% Cranberry juice to my 1 Gal batch. Had my friend Steve come over to sample and let me know what he thought. I think its good for a 1st so does Steve. We also decided not to sweeten and to leave it in it current state and finish clearing.

No, you can't subtract out the ABV after sweetening. The extra sugar you are adding is increasing the SG..but has no impact on what your ABV is if you are not fermenting it.

I meant if increase the volume but not the alcohol, the % of alcohol by volume has decreased.

First Racking Ooopsie

I just racked my CC red mnt Cab with grape pack (loose) from the primary ferment bucket into a 6 gal carboy. I used an auto syphon setup that unfortunately got going so strong at times a few loose skins from near the bottom made it into the carboy. Some have floated to the top and I will pick those out with a forceps but do I need to be concerned leaving the sunken ones in the carboy as it ages for 20 days or so (as the kit says); Or should I re-rack on shorter order?
To make matters worse due to some "issues" I had to top off nearly 1/2 gallon of the carboy with simple syrup (same SG as must) since I did not have a cabernet to top up with on hand, what odds. And being 1030pm the liquor stores closed. :m

Eyeguy, I haven't tried any high end kits yet...but with all the researching I've been doing on winemaking (my wife calls it my latest obsession...not just a hobby) I'm guessing your kit instructions probably won't have you rack again until after you've stabilized, degassed and you are ready to bottle. Was your SG at or below 1.000 when you transferred to the secondary? If not then it shouldn't be a problem since the wine will still be somewhat protected from oxidation due to the CO2 being produced. So I would do it sooner than later to get rid of those renegade fruit skins. Just try to avoid splash racking. If you were below SG 1.000 I'm still thinking it wouldn't be a terrible risk it in terms of the wine oxidizing more than you want it to. I would think the fruit skins could pose more of a problem over that time. But I would repost your question if you are at all worried and get more advise from the guru's on this site. I'd hate to see you have a batch go south on my advise.

Back