1st Kit - Getting very close!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenS

Reaction score
Started my first kit in early January, and have been 'reasonably' patient thus far. It is a 5 week CC Lodi Old Vine Zin, and it's now in its 9th week. So, about an extra 4 weeks of bulk aging so far. I'm still going to wait at least another week or two before bottling, but I stole a 1/2 glass this weekend to taste (topped back off with a similar wine) while my son was home from college. I was very pleasantly surprised! Thanks to everybody on this forum that helped me along the way!

We compared it to a 2010 Cline Cellars Zin, and the color was almost an exact match. Mine of course didn't compare in complexity or overall flavor, but for such a young wine I have to be very pleased for my first attempt; very drinkable already, and I'm sure it will continue to improve.

Here is my first attempt at a label for the bottles:

Label1.png

The label is based on the name of our subdivision, and the photo is from my back deck. The bottling date is still TBD, but I don't think I can wait a whole lot longer!

I already have a WE Select Sauvignon Blanc/Semillon in secondary, and picked up a WE International French Cab kit today. Oh yes, I am definitely hooked ;)

Great job, Ken! Don't tell anyone how easy it was. Let them think you slaved over it! I like the label, too.

Get some more carboys!!! :a

That first kit is a great feeling. Especially when you get it into the bottle with your beautiful label and a nice cap.
Congratulations. :try

Great labels. Let that wine age for awhile. If you have to drink some, don't drink it all. Let some age about 2 years; it will be worth the wait.

I echo Robie's comment. I have this one in bottles and it's now a little over 2 years old. I can say that for mine it has now gotten very good. Even at 1 1/2 years it was a bit green.

Nice label Ken. I too am nearing the bottling of my first kit and am equally anxious. Can you tell me a little about how you made the label or send me a PM if this is not the place to be posting such info. Thanks.

Nice label Ken. I too am nearing the bottling of my first kit and am equally anxious. Can you tell me a little about how you made the label or send me a PM if this is not the place to be posting such info. Thanks.

Avery 5264 labels. I just made a powerpoint template that I tested with regular paper on my printer, until I got all the rectangles right. There are MS Word templates easily found on the web, but I like the freedom to simply place objects, align them, etc. in PowerPoint. The rest was just dropping pictures in where I wanted them...

Wait till you taste it in a year...you will very proud of yourself! And I too like the label; not sure if the background is needed though...might look better with just the logo and photo butted togehter. Or maybe a color that matched something within the logo or photo. :)

Wait till you taste it in a year...you will very proud of yourself! And I too like the label; not sure if the background is needed though...might look better with just the logo and photo butted togehter. Or maybe a color that matched something within the logo or photo. :)

Appreciate the feedback! I was thinking about that too. I have a couple of weeks before I need to print them, so plenty of time to play around with the design.

I don't want to change the colors in the logo, and my lovely bride really wanted the sunset photo there, so I need to find a way to make them look like they belong together, I think. I'm no designer, that's for sure ;)

Back