1st batch of muscadine for 2012

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n2tazmania

Reaction score
Starting my first batch of Nobels tonight.

32lbs Nobels that have been froze for 3-4 weeks.
1/4 tsp wine tannin
1/4 tsp K-Meta
5 tsp yeast nutrient
5 campden tablets
S.G. ~1.085

This made a little over 5 gal of must. I'm gonna put the yeast to it tomorrow night.

Also spent the afternoon picking more with the family. Beautiful afternoon here in the south. Picked ~55lbs of Carlos and ~63lbs of Nobel. Now gotta get them washed and in the freezer for this winter.

lucky you to be able to pick muscadines. Carlos makes a very nice wine and the Nobel is exceptional. Do you ever think about blending the two?

I am wondering how you crushed them?

The old fashion way. LOL!!! I used a small bucket and a potato masher and put ~4lbs in at a time and mashed and mashed..... I am trying to find a crusher.

lucky you to be able to pick muscadines. Carlos makes a very nice wine and the Nobel is exceptional. Do you ever think about blending the two?

Didn't think about that Julie but I may try that if i get down to the end and only have a few pounds of each.

I bought the cheap wooden crusher from EC Kraus and it works perfectly on my muscadines

I crushed mine by hand, one at a time, when I started my first 6 gallon batch. Very cold since they were still thawing. That's something I hope to bypass in the future. Christmas is coming and I know what to put on my list.

sounds good I have 40lbs.of red in the freeze I'll start on soon.Good luck LCW

I crushed mine by hand, one at a time, when I started my first 6 gallon batch. Very cold since they were still thawing.

LOL!! That is what I tried too. But after some frost bite, I decided that wasn't the best way.....

Back