Moonshiners Beware

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had it, and after a few tastes (try to imagine drinking mineral spirits) my feeling is it's not worth the trouble to make it, let alone the illegal aspect.

Here is an interesting artical on moonshining.

Interesting info for those of us in Missouri:
http://www.ehow.co.uk/list_6727651_alcohol-still-laws.html

State Versus Federal Law
<LI id=jsArticleStep1 itxtvisited="1">Missouri is the only state whose laws expressly give residents the right to distill alcohol. Federal law is thought to supersede state law under the Interstate Commerce Clause, but the "Show Me State" continues to include freedom to operate an alcohol still within its statutes. Section 311.055 of the Missouri Revised Statues (August 28, 2009) reads:

"No person at least twenty-one years of age shall be required to obtain a license to manufacture intoxicating liquor, as defined in section 311.020, for personal or family use. The aggregate amount of intoxicating liquor manufactured per household shall not exceed two hundred gallons per calendar year if there are two or more persons over the age of twenty-one years in such household, or one hundred gallons per calendar year if there is only one person over the age of twenty-one years in such household. (see References 4)

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/c300-399/3110000055.htm
License to manufacture not required, personal or family use--limitation.
311.055. No person at least twenty-one years of age shall be required to obtain a license to manufacture intoxicating liquor, as defined in section 311.020, for personal or family use. The aggregate amount of intoxicating liquor manufactured per household shall not exceed two hundred gallons per calendar year if there are two or more persons over the age of twenty-one years in such household, or one hundred gallons per calendar year if there is only one person over the age of twenty-one years in such household.

I wonder if there is any case law demonstrating that MO residents can beat the Feds in court?

I've had it, and after a few tastes (try to imagine drinking mineral spirits) my feeling is it's not worth the trouble to make it, let alone the illegal aspect.

Far from worth the legal implications, but back in the younger days, I've sampled some pretty smooth shine, and also sampled some you could run your car on. I guess it's not much different from that aspect as making wine is. If you take your time and are careful about what you do, you will end up with quality product, other wise. Turpentine.

If you take your time and are careful about what you do, you will end up with quality product, other wise. Turpentine.

I have heard of people doing just that!
But you know,,,
Don't ask, don't tell. :slp
It should be legal everywhere.
Hmmm,,, 100 gallons a year per person... That sounds like one heck of a hangover.

Why would you want to make moonshine anyway? It's work, then you go blind and get arrested. And it all tastes like garbage. Might as well just stay right away from it and live a long and healthy life.

Why would you want to make moonshine anyway? It's work, then you go blind and get arrested. And it all tastes like garbage. Might as well just stay right away from it and live a long and healthy life.

I wouldn't mind making some gin!

Geez! For a minute I thought you were dropping your pants and MOONING :slp

Dan leads Tom to the corner after removing all of Nikkies hidden stash! Hummm not use to seeing this corner without Nikkie here.

:u Dan peers over and Tom is now writing something in the corner for Nikiie.

Dan leads Tom to the corner after removing all of Nikkies hidden stash! Hummm not use to seeing this corner without Nikkie here.

:u Dan peers over and Tom is now writing something in the corner for Nikiie.

Nope.
Butt, I did have some quality shine this year. It was 1 yr+ old from the mountains of NC. Trick this guy did was add a little Apple. All I can say was
"thru the teeth over the gums watch out stomach here it comes"

Yep, Ive had some good stuff and also some bad stuff that would take the metal under the paint off!

Why make homemade beer, wine, sausage or anything else?
It's fun and you can make some great stuff if you want to. I had some that was amazing:dg

hubby had some last fall flavored with peach...said it wasn't bad...bourbon is more his thing:b
(but i keep making him try every new wine i bring home:h

Shine is like wine. It can come out like shite or it can come out a masterpiece.... For things like vodka and gin you use way more of the hearts and very little tails... (most people never use the heads) But for things like rum you allow some of the tails to come in aswell.. Its very complex and tallend consuming craft just like wine making....,

Dont write it off as some just some backwood hick's bak yard project.

Exactly what Seth8530 said..
How long did you make wine before you made something that made you say,,,, man that is great...
You probably still drank most of what you made except for the absolute worst.

Back