more bugs

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berrycrush

Reaction score
What kind of bug is this? I first thought they are stink bugs, but look a little different up close.

28694935023_13eca6f08e.jpg

29236855551_90e4d7bd07_c.jpg

Looks like a stink bug of sorts to me. You don't want them to make it into the crusher for sure. Fast and easy way to ruin a batch ever.

First one is probably Brown Marmorated Stink Bug - where are you located? In the below article (which provides management suggestions) it says that these bugs have been found in vineyards in New
Jersey, Oregon, and Virginia.
Yes I am in Virginia, and my vines is one mile off Virginia in the neighboring WV. Does Sevin work for BMSB?

Sevin should kill a large percentage of those stink bugs. Are you seeing them mostly at the ends of rows?

How close are you to harvest?

In the article it says "If clusters are infested at harvest and taint is a concern, a knockdown material such as Pyganic or Belay (0d PHI) may reduce the number of BMSB in the clusters if applied the evening before harvest"

Sevin should kill a large percentage of those stink bugs. Are you seeing them mostly at the ends of rows?

How close are you to harvest?

I probably will leave them alone. This is my first fruiting year and there is not much to harvest. I will just observe nature run its course and hope to learn something for the next year.

Back