I’m a little worried

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood1954

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This year there are no bugs in the vineyard this year. Usually by now I’ve killed hundreds of Japanese beetles, and several stink bug egg masses. Last week I killed a couple dozen beetles but now there’s none to be seen. No bald faced hornets or paper wasps. It’s just weird.

I haven't seen very many Japanese beetles over here in the Twin Cities area. I read someplace that drought conditions can affect their population, but we also have been getting our lawn treated for grubs for the last few years. Or it could be they are late this year.

Wisconsin has been under drought conditions. The insect and fungus problems will be reduced. This year I haven’t sprayed for JB yet and haven’t done all the normal spraying for black rot. Crop wise grape looks good. The opposite has happened on some raspberry/ small poorly filled, and anything planted this year has had buckets of water carried out every day.

Wisconsin has been under drought conditions. The insect and fungus problems will be reduced. This year I haven’t sprayed for JB yet and haven’t done all the normal spraying for black rot. Crop wise grape looks good. The opposite has happened on some raspberry/ small poorly filled, and anything planted this year has had buckets of water carried out every day.
This year is very dry, it’s nice not having pest pressure,but it takes quite a while to water the vineyard. The wild berries are just drying out on the canes.

Interestingly, honey bees are entombing tainted pollen that makes it back to the hive with a wax cap so as not to be used. There's at least twice as much a chance that the hive will collapse if there is entombed pollen in the brood nest and available to the queen.

I haven't seen very many Japanese beetles over here in the Twin Cities area. I read someplace that drought conditions can affect their population, but we also have been getting our lawn treated for grubs for the last few years. Or it could be they are late this year.
I've used GrubEx on my lawn for years and I certainly have no shortage of Japanese Beetles!! :)

I am seeing the same thing on the south edge of the Twin Cities. I have not used any insecticide last or this year but this year I only saw 5 or 6 beetles total so far. I did use grubex last year.

I am seeing the same thing on the south edge of the Twin Cities. I have not used any insecticide last or this year but this year I only saw 5 or 6 beetles total so far. I did use grubex last year.
We're in the same town so maybe we've got it covered! :)

Seriously, I think it's the drought conditions.

We're in the same town so maybe we've got it covered! :)

Seriously, I think it's the drought conditions.
I think the drought affected the beetles but I am sure the grubex had some effect also. I have no problem with moles this year and my yard was a disaster last year. I think there were no jb grubs for them to eat.

Latest posts

Back