Ripening differently

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agaric1

Junior
Reaction score
I do not remember such differences in ripening in the past from my grapes. I am seeing some clusters very nearly ripe but some (on the very same vine) look almost completely green. Seeing the same from my Canadice and Suffolk but not as worried about them. So I am wondering if I am gonna have to have multiple harvests for those that re not ripening yet or am I gonna see some clusters not ripen at all?
I have had 3 years of good harvests and last years was great. These are Concords and I am in east Tennessee. The weather is hot and rain has been less than normal but I try to water if it gets to be too long between rains.
Here is a link to a pic:
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg196/agaric1_agaric1/S6301805_zpsaiwhsz1e.jpg

Color is not necessarily ripeness. Your grapes are just reaching verasion. Non of them are any where near ripe yet.

Color is not necessarily ripeness. Your grapes are just reaching verasion. Non of them are any where near ripe yet.

I concur. Too early to tell. However, drop those secondary clusters. The won't ripen with the primary and just take away nutrients.

Thanks for the advice. However, the ones that were not ripening seem to slowly, but surely, begin to change color. I just do not remember this happening last year so I was a bit worried.

these look like concord grapes. this years crop is sensitive to shading from last years growth. the vines that grow this year that are shaded do affect the grape clusters next year. I also experienced the different ripening conditions on my wines. I went to a Geneva Double curtain trellis. this allowed the wines to be fully exposed to the sun and the following year all ripened evenly. the GDC also provide room for the vine length necessary when pruning. minimum pruning requires at least 40 buds on concord. GDC gave me the space to do so.

Back