After Sanitizing??????

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCGoodin

Reaction score
Ok, question?

I clean the bottles and then I sanitize them. Do you do one more rinse to get rid of the sanitizer before bottling?

Thanks for your help.

Depends on the brand of sanitizer, some are no rinse some you must rinse. You got to read the instructions.

Depends on the brand of sanitizer, some are no rinse some you must rinse. You got to read the instructions.
Wine Sense handlesthree different productsfor cleaning and or sanitizing, Sparkle-Brite, Aseptox and
Sodium Metabisulphite. Each one of these three productshas different featuresand a package of each is
included with your Wine Sense Starter Kit.
SPARKLE-BRITE: a chlorine based cleaner-sanitizer. Used in the food and dairy industry, Sparkle-Brite is very
effective for removing stains, flavours and odours. 20 minutes of contact time will effectively sanitize any
equipment.
Contact Time- 20 minutesto effectively sanitize, longer for the removal of stains odoursand
dried wine.
Rinsing- Must be rinsed very well due to the presence of chlorine.
Odour- Chlorine (swimming pool)
ASEPTOX: using percarbonates, Aseptox is a very effective sanitizer that requires no rinsing and isodour
free! Use as a quick rinse to sanitize your clean equipment. Aseptox isnot reusable.
Contact Time- Works on contact.
Rinsing- No rinsing required!
Odour- No odour!
SODIUM METABISULPHITE: used for many years by the wine, Sodium Metabisulphite isan effective sanitizer.
The strong sulphur odour that is given off sanitizesyour equipment with a quick rinse, many people
however find the odour very strong and difficult to work with. Sodium Metabisulphite is reusable and can
last in a sealed container for up 6-9 months (as long asthe strong odour remains).
Contact Time- Works on contact.
Rinsing- Must be rinsed or sulphur odour and taste can remain in wine.
Odour- Strong Sulphur odour.

Last edited:
I mix my sanitizers (StarSan and K-meta) with tap water from a well. For that reason I do one quick rinse with bottled water, just putting some in the first bottle then carrying that through all the others.

My last rinse is 10% meta. I don't rinse again figuring it is just a bit more meta in the bottle. I do bottle on the low side of sulphites. I guess I should test the wine, bottle, open and retest to see what I'm adding. Darn, now you made me think:?

I use a strong kmeta/citric acid solution, so I rinse afterwards. Most using the standard 10% mixture don't rinse, like John said it adds a negligible amount.

Do you do one more rinse to get rid of the sanitizer before bottling?

Yes, I do. I rinse with hot water, spray some Star-San in them and then a short rinse again.
Maybe it doesn't matter but I don't want dried Star-San, kmeta, etc. in the bottle before I fill it.

I normally use the bottle washer with kmeta and let sit on the bottle tree till I get all set for filling then dump out last bit in bottle and fill. The little bit left in bottle will help preserve it, I usually don't touch till about a month has passed due to bottle shock and I'm working on wine for next year so it sits for quite awhile before I need to tap. Typically I'm drinking wine from 1 to 2 years in the past. I due not rinse with water because that can bring bad stuff into the mix. The first batches are the hardest to let it sit but once you get a few under your belt you will get some stock built up. Patience is the key, believe me I have been there and eager to test out the wine but learned that time is your friend. Keep starting batches and it will come and this site is the best for any questions you might have.

Back