Carmenere and Cab Sav blend?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geek

Still lost.....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just put an order for my Chilean grapes batch. Small 6gal batch with 5 boxes.
I never made Carmenere before but my vendor tells me is a very fruity grape, more than Merlot.

Plan to use 3 lugs of Carmenere and 2 lugs of Cab Sav.

Has anyone tried that blend?

Carmenere was at one time one of the prime grapes permitted in making Bordeaux wine. It is not grown much in France anymore and has found life very good in Chile. I like Carmenere,,, usually a bucket every year!! :dg

Carmenere is one of my favorite wines, I make a pail every year. I have been told it blends well with Cab Sauv.

It goes with Cab Sauv. I plan to blend a little Cab Sauv into my Carmenere this year as well.

Well, my supplier called saying my late order may not make it, they're telling me later today.

My other supplier only has Malbec and Syrah available for grapes. I never made Syrah before. Maybe I should go all Syrah as I have a 5gal carboy with a lower end kit Malbec bulk aging.

Has anyone blended these 2 varietals before?
Thoughts welcome.

Last edited:
Syrah and Petit Syrah are established blenders but have recently become "stand-alone" varietals. May need to research to find an acceptable blend ratio. OR conduct your own bench testing to satisfy your own taste!!

Back