Fresh juice ta vs ph

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qyhcat

Reaction score
I just got fresh pressed juice and recorded ph at 3.8 while ta was .33%
Added tartaric and now got ph 3.5 but ta still at .42%

Any light on what might be going on or how to being my ta in starting range without loosing ph down?

Thanks

Were it me, I'd add a little more tartaric acid, get your Ph down into the 3.3 range and TA into the upper 5's. Both the TA and Ph will change during fermentation, you can make some fine adjustments after fermentation if needed, and you'll be able to use both your testing equipment as well as your taste buds. If you put your wine through MLF, those numbers will change again, so you've still got opportunities to make adjustments.

The other option you have is to proceed from where you are, this isn't a bad option. You will still have opportunity for the same adjustments as above.

Thanks
I plan for mlf so will take you recommendation and add little more

Is your regent for checking the Ta fresh? It wont last season to season. Also have you tasted the juice?

Uhmm nope it has about 9mths
As far as tasting i noticed it dull but first time outside of kit so unclear on what to expect
Bu dull i mean low acid

If the regent has been opened for 9 months, think about getting new fresh regent.

I got that from your question

Will check that tomorrow

Thanks

Back