WineXpert Aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

limulus

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I have my 2nd, 3rd and 4th batches in fermentation right now. All are made from RJS or Winexpert Eclipse kits. The first batch, I bottled after I completed all the steps in the instructions. But I see lots of guys with multiple carboys filled with wine aging. Is it better to age the wine a while in a carboy and then bottle it or age it in the bottles? The instructions don't really mention that. Step 4 of the Winexpert kit (racking and clarification) says to add extra metabisulphite powder to prevent oxidation if aging more than 6mos. Does this mean aging in bulk or aging in the bottle (a little confusing). I was planning to age this stuff at least 6mos after bottling.

It is best to bulk age, if possible. Bottling at the time the kit says is ok, but you may run the risk of having sediment in your bottles (especially reds with grape skins).

The extra kmeta is for bulk aging. You add 1/4 tsp. for every 6 gallons....you repeat every 3 months that you leave it bulk aging.

I just started out as well and asked some similar questions, that is how i know this, otherwise i would be confused. This forum is of great help.

Last edited:
And then there's the self control issue, on top of the other good reasons given above.

If you're making nice reds, like the eclipse you made, folks here will tell you the big red wiines, really start to come together at 12-18 months, continuing to improve well past the two year mark. In my home, wine in bottles have a short life. I try not to bottle til wine is a year old, halfway home!!!

Get off to a fast start, make more than you can drink, bottle some, bulk age others, and start bulk aging longer and longer, you'll get there.

StBIGT incorrectly stated to add 1/4 tbsp/6gal at 3 month intervals. That's way too much sulfites. The correct amount is 1/4 teaspoon...cheers!

My bad....thanks for the correction, scram. It was late and almost had a bottle of cab gone :h.

If you're making nice reds, like the eclipse you made, folks here will tell you the big red wiines, really start to come together at 12-18 months, continuing to improve well past the two year mark.

Spot on! Bulk aging longer is better for a number of reasons including the ability to make adjustments along the way, although if you believe the "experts" referenced in the article, bulk aging beyond 24 months purportedly yields diminishing returns. Generally for logistical reasons I've never gone beyond 12 months in bulk so can't comment beyond that.

Regarding the table in the referenced article, I'd ideally add 3-6+ months to their aging times for reds, but some extended bulk aging is better than none so as previously recommended do what you're able to, however plan on a good 18-24 months of cumulative aging for a good red before starting to judge too critically.

And then there's the self control issue, on top of the other good reasons given above.

If you're making nice reds, like the eclipse you made, folks here will tell you the big red wiines, really start to come together at 12-18 months, continuing to improve well past the two year mark. In my home, wine in bottles have a short life. I try not to bottle til wine is a year old, halfway home!!!

Get off to a fast start, make more than you can drink, bottle some, bulk age others, and start bulk aging longer and longer, you'll get there.

Thanks for the additional info. This helps a lot. I'll definitely age it in bulk for 9-12 months. I'll soon have 18-gal in bulk. One is a white, so I can bottle it sooner.

Spot on! Bulk aging longer is better for a number of reasons including the ability to make adjustments along the way, although if you believe the "experts" referenced in the article, bulk aging beyond 24 months purportedly yields diminishing returns. Generally for logistical reasons I've never gone beyond 12 months in bulk so can't comment beyond that.

Regarding the table in the referenced article, I'd ideally add 3-6+ months to their aging times for reds, but some extended bulk aging is better than none so as previously recommended do what you're able to, however plan on a good 18-24 months of cumulative aging for a good red before starting to judge too critically.

It is time to buy more carboys!

Back