shelf life,,,

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ok, I've figured out when you ferment on a small scale such as I do (for now anyway ) not to buy my chemicals in bulk. but I have a question about SUPER-KLEER KS A TWO PART FINING AGENT, it don't have a manufacture date nor a use by date, I bought this in 2014 and has been in the fridge ever since, dose it need tossed, so far I have been racking/ bulk aging for two years before I bottle on reds, and pears as well, my other white's like apples and other white fruit, crab apples an so on an so fourth for around 8 moth to 1 year,,, but I'm prattling on, my question is what's the safe shelf life, if it needs tossed then no problem, I read and listen to many, many of ya'll, I only wish to learn,
I've learned to respect this site and it's people,,, except with the location of my stash wines,,,, lol,, just kidding, I keep all my aging wine, in the marinates trench, 7 mile below sea level,, HONEST,,,,, cough, grunt, Gilgal,,,,
Richard::

Well, I don't know for sure but I bought a package that i never got around to using. Think it was probably back in 2010. This fall I had a batch of plum that wouldn't clear. Tried cold, degassing, letting it sit (for a year) finally saw that pkg of super kleer. Managed to put the wrong half it first, thought oh well stuck the other half in, and the next day the wine was fairly clear. Let it sit for a week or so and it was really clear. Guess that tells you about all I know about it. Have one more batch of plum I never got around to pitching. It just would not clear. Have bought another pkg and going to try it. This stuff in probably 3 or 4 years old. Will hit it with the superkleer one of these days. Will let you know how it works out. Arne.

Haha, Arne, I am like you. I have some 3+ years old, seemed to work last time I used it. I just don't need it often. I use it for emergencies only because it contains chitosan and we have shellfish allergies. I don't do fining in general. Time is best, in my book, unless there's a rare problem.

Yep Jim, mostly just let things sit. With time and the temp changes in my basement, most things seem to clear and degas on their own. But that stuff really made the plum that wouldn't clear clear right up. Arne.

Agree with you Jim. Time is the best clarifier.

I do filter white wines, though, to speed things up a bit. and get the white to truly sparkle.

cool, I wasn't planning on using it, just needed if I should throw it out with my yeast, as a matter of fact all the chemicals used in vining are 2 years old,, hehe easy to know a beginner I bought all chemicals in pounds, and all yeast dry yeast was a assortment of 5 kinds I think. so I got probably 45 to 60 packets still, I have learned much on this site by reading, some things I already know the the answer to, but ask to double check, others well I truly need all of yall's help' I built my first house by myself with 1 unskilled worker, built it. plumbed it, ran eclectic my self, I learned brick laying as well as block laying, at age 15,, low voltage wiring only thing I never learned then i quit an went to work for a carpenter that built homes 100% by himself, after that I went into commercial retail construction, in shopping malls a new world, on most all construction you build from the ground up not retail commercial, that you mark out on the ground and build from the top down, in 15 years of being a mail rat I never turned a store over late, and never not even once had a punch list, I was the only one in the U.S.A. to build Chico's stores in 3 days, I did hand pick my subs and flew them in from California to new York and places in between, reason being Chico's was the highest paying store of all stores, they gave 3 stores to each contractor and I mean many contractors, the winning company got a 10 year no bid contract worth 100's of millions not one other company didn't even make one store much less all three stores, the closest was 1 company did 2 in a week and a half each and 1 in 5 days, later I found out my 3 stores were the only one's that had the bathroom moved to opposite side of the stock room, no one else had any pluming, I could look a plan over in one day and make one trip and never had to buy anything else, and all 3 of my jobs were done in 3 days with no punch list, I loved my work, custom trim man, custom laminate , so on an so fourth, the reason for this is to explain why I have to ask more then once questions of ya'll, for one reason when I got sick I was started out with 19 kinds of pills and 460 units of fast acting insulin and 150 units a day of slow working insulation, by the time I realized my mind an memory was slipping and went on the net and started learning about all these medicines, 1 took myself down to 6 medicines, and a total of 160 units a day of 2 types of insulation, that's a reduction of 450 units of insulation , and 13 less pills with a gain in health, the moral of my story is their is a reason I some times re-ask questions, and need help more then once now and then, it was mainly the statins drugs that has muddled my brain, both man an females help me greatly, and it is not because I'm lazy that I need help remembering. things again an again, and I read tons on here, so I don't have to bother ya'l quite so much. an because all of ya'll help me so much honor demands I explain to all of yall. in my book each and every one of my site members has earned not only my respect but some knowledge as to why I do ask repeat things, all of ya'll and I do mean all, are in my prayers, I have no problems with non-believes,, that is anyone's right, but I so pray for all,, may god bless you one and all as well as your family's and your friends,,,,
HOUND DAWG
Richard
I pray reputedly that one day I might get to help others as ya'll help me,
I love to garden, mess with my meat rabbits, chickens, hogs and beef and that helps me find some please, but wine making I very much enjoy and give me a feeling of accomplishment and yes I get great pride, and a man must have some pride, the feeling of accomplishment and a purpose in life and here has been an still is a large part of these things,, from the bottom of my heart,,, THANK YOU ONE AND ALL FROM MY HEART,,,,,

I wouldn't throw the yeast out quite yet. Try making a starter with it. If it takes off, use it for your wine. If it doesn't, you can throw it out and use some new yeast. I keep mine in the refrigerator and it seems to last well beyond its exp. date. Arne.

Haha, Arne, I am like you. I have some 3+ years old, seemed to work last time I used it. I just don't need it often. I use it for emergencies only because it contains chitosan and we have shellfish allergies. I don't do fining in general. Time is best, in my book, unless there's a rare problem.

@jswordy Are you able to drink wine cleared with superkleer even with shellfish allergies? I ask because I am curious. I've heard so many things like it doesn't affect people at all or it kills them; never know quite what to believe. :h

I keep all my chemicals in the refrigerator,
dose the same go for yeast energizer, acid blend, k-meta, sorbate, ,,, in a box to eliminate light when I reaching for food, ummm wine an so forth,:?

:?

I wouldn't throw the yeast out quite yet. Try making a starter with it. If it takes off, use it for your wine. If it doesn't, you can throw it out and use some new yeast. I keep mine in the refrigerator and it seems to last well beyond its exp. date. Arne.

@jswordy Are you able to drink wine cleared with superkleer even with shellfish allergies? I ask because I am curious. I've heard so many things like it doesn't affect people at all or it kills them; never know quite what to believe. :h

It causes joint pains for me and my wife. Your mileage may vary.

I keep all my chemicals in the refrigerator,
dose the same go for yeast energizer, acid blend, k-meta, sorbate, ,,, in a box to eliminate light when I reaching for food, ummm wine an so forth,:?

:?

I don't believe any of them say you have to refrigerate them. I have room and keep them in there, in my opinion they seem to keep better in there. Also had some liquid pectic enzime and a mouse show up in the basement. He ate thru the bottle of pectic enzime. Got into the nutrient, energizer and some other stuff. Never touched the k-meta. Too bad, but he went for the bait on the mousetrap. End of the problem. Dang cat didn't get him, but I did. LOL, Arne.

not to show how truly dim I really am, bot how lone did you ferment him an how many racking's before he was clear enough to bottle, an last but not least, you don't happen to have a sample bottle left for me:fsh

::

I don't believe any of them say you have to refrigerate them. I have room and keep them in there, in my opinion they seem to keep better in there. Also had some liquid pectic enzime and a mouse show up in the basement. He ate thru the bottle of pectic enzime. Got into the nutrient, energizer and some other stuff. Never touched the k-meta. Too bad, but he went for the bait on the mousetrap. End of the problem. Dang cat didn't get him, but I did. LOL, Arne.

dose refrigerating them hurt them
I know this is a mused question, but I only joined this great sight to llear how todo thins right,,,,::

not to show how truly dim I really am, bot how lone did you ferment him an how many racking's before he was clear enough to bottle, an last but not least, you don't happen to have a sample bottle left for me:fsh

::

Actually you can kinda ferment them. Put a bunch in a jar, bury it in the backyard for a couple of months. Next fall, use some of the liquid for coyote sets. Makes a great lure if your stomach can stand it. Arne.

dose refrigerating them hurt them
I know this is a mused question, but I only joined this great sight to llear how todo thins right,,,,::

Doesn't seem to affect them at all. I have been keeping them in the reefer for quite a few years and they all seem to work fine when I get them out. The only exception is sorbate. I keep fresh around as I have had it not work when it gets older. (over a year old or so) Only thing is you have no idea how long it has been on the shelf in the store. Arne.

thank you,
that answers all my chemicals
richard

Doesn't seem to affect them at all. I have been keeping them in the reefer for quite a few years and they all seem to work fine when I get them out. The only exception is sorbate. I keep fresh around as I have had it not work when it gets older. (over a year old or so) Only thing is you have no idea how long it has been on the shelf in the store. Arne.

you don't recon your cat is a vegetarian do ya,,,,,:HB
richard

Interesting thread, and as a new home brewer I started wondering about shelf life of the stuff I've bought from the wine store. The first batch of Dragon's Blood that I started about a month ago I purchased very small amounts of: Pot. Metabilsulphite, Pectic Enzyme, Yeast nutrient, Yeast energizer and Bentonite. Well my second batch it looked like I was going to run out of Enzyme so I picked up 1/2lb to 1lb packets of all these additives. After reading through this thread I checked the packages and NONE of them have expiration dates. So, off to the LD Carlson website to find out and surprisingly there is no information that I could find. So I have sent them an email to hopefully find out "from the horses mouth" the proper way to store and expected shelf life is for their products. They may respond directly to this thread so let's wait and see...

Back