Fermax and Sulfur?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winecarver

Junior
Reaction score
I made 3 batches of wine and some mead just using DAP. My mead struggled and I read I should get some Fermax. I did and made some cyser. During primary it had a bad sulfur smell which I was able to get out. Now I'm making some Welch's grape juice wine and it also has bad sulfur smell and I can't get rid of it.

The only difference between my earlier batches and my last 2 is that I used Fermax and DAP instead of just DAP. Can Fermax cause sulfur production?

The product I used is this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0064H0MWY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Thank you,

Stinky

Last edited by a moderator:
In most cases, the sulfur smell is caused by yeast breakdown or stressed yeast through a lack or mismanagement of nutrients.

DAP provides an immediate nitrogen source. This is good to use during the lag or growth phase of fermentation (or the beginning). Fermax is a source of nitrogen that is not readily available and yeast needs to work harder to get at it. This is actually a good thing as it will slow down the yeast's metabolism, providing a nice steady fermentation.

I have found (IMHO) that a mix of both DAP and Fermax, added in 3 stages is best.

In total, try adding 1 gram per liter of DAP, and .26 grams per liter of fermax. Add them in three stages ...

Stage One - prior to pitching yeast - add 1/2 of the DAP and 1/3 of the fermax.

Stage Two - after fermentation is really kicked off (down 3 or 4 brix)- add 1/2 (the remainer) of DAP and 1/3 of the fermax.

Stage Three - at 6 to 8 brix - add the remainder of the Fermax

Back