Fresh Juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tovis

Reaction score
I don't ever want to use a kit. I feel using a concentrated juice would be like buying a can of frozen orange juice in a can versus something fresh squeezed.

I am looking to get some from France and Australia. We have a local place that gets large batches from Italy, Chile, and California. I hope I am not limited to those 3 for fresh juice.

I also have access to some local places that grow amazing grapes. I tried 2 of these and I cannot believe Vignoles is not in stores.

Depending on where you live, Presque Isle Wine gets Australian juice in the fall:

http://www.piwine.com/order-australian-juice-for-wine-making.html

Looking at the top banner, looks like www.grapemasters.com gets must from Spain. Never heard of any sourced from France, good luck with that one.

Agreed, local wineries around here have a great assortment of grapes. Loving the Dornfelder I got this fall, aging with some oak right now. Have some Chardonel in the clearing stages. Many more varieties to try next fall.

Too bad you limit yourself not making kits, but as always it is your wine. I've made a few lower and middle end kits that I've added leftover skins from an all grape batch and they are turning out pretty good. The Forza and Sonoma Dry Creek Chardonnay Eclipse kits are tasting very good, but still very young.

Last edited:
I don't ever want to use a kit. I feel using a concentrated juice would be like buying a can of frozen orange juice in a can versus something fresh squeezed.

I am looking to get some from France and Australia. We have a local place that gets large batches from Italy, Chile, and California. I hope I am not limited to those 3 for fresh juice.

I also have access to some local places that grow amazing grapes. I tried 2 of these and I cannot believe Vignoles is not in stores.

I'm not sure why you have a prejudice against kits. They make great wines. The more you pay the better they get. You talk about getting Italian, Chile and California Juice pails. Why do you feel these are any better than kits? They are cheaper.

I am pretty well knowledgeable in all of these options and what I can tell you is the Australian juice that comes from Presque Isle Wine Cellars is superior to any of the other three. It would be the same as buying freshly pressed juice local juice from a winery.

Last edited:
Kits are concentrated. If we did not live in an apartment I would aim for grapes. I want to have as limited processing done prior to when we get it as possible.

Again, concentrated Orange Juice is not as good as fresh squeezed. Perhaps kits are done with more science or something but I would grow my own grapes to use if possible.

LOL! Just stirrin' up the pot! ::

Once we are not in an apartment with a toddler that sounds amazing. Grape stomping with my son sounds great!

M&h sells french juice under the Kamil label. It's not fresh but sold as Sterile

I have not had good experiences with the pails of juice. They have usually been far down the road of fermentation with God knows what yeast and the wines have tasted funky in the end. Next time I do a white I will get fresh grapes like I do for reds. However if I had to choose between a pail of juice and kit I would go with kit.

I have not had good experiences with the pails of juice. They have usually been far down the road of fermentation with God knows what yeast and the wines have tasted funky in the end. Next time I do a white I will get fresh grapes like I do for reds. However if I had to choose between a pail of juice and kit I would go with kit.

You need to talk to your distributer and ask questions..

1) has it been treated with K-meta?
2) has the acid been adjusted?
3) is it pre-inoculated with yeast. If so, what strain?
4) have nutrients been added?
5) how long have you had the juice in storage..

If you supplier is honest, you can get a clear picture of exactly what is in the pail and it's quality.

Kits are concentrated. If we did not live in an apartment I would aim for grapes. I want to have as limited processing done prior to when we get it as possible.

Again, concentrated Orange Juice is not as good as fresh squeezed. Perhaps kits are done with more science or something but I would grow my own grapes to use if possible.

If you want to try them, there are several places that sell kits / buckets that contain 23L of juice, either frozen or pasteurized, not from concentrate. FineVineWines handles several different 23L Mosti products, as does M&M Grape (frozen buckets too, must or juice). Both places will ship. Just a couple options.

Back